Jul 23, 2013, 6:34 PM EST
USA TODAY’s Bob Nightengale hears that Alex Rodriguez intends to go down swinging.
Two people close to A-Rod told Nightengale that Rodriguez has no intention of negotiating a Biogenesis-related settlement with MLB and that he plans to appeal any suspension handed down.
Rodriguez’s penalty is expected to be more severe than the 65-game ban handed down to Ryan Braun on Monday. A person with knowledge of the investigation told Nightengale that the league is prepared to suspend A-Rod for at least 100 games. An appeal would make it unlikely that he serves any portion of a suspension this year.
Nightengale’s report comes less than a day after ESPNNewYork’s Wallace Matthews said Rodriguez was trying to cut a deal with the league.
Rodriguez, currently on the DL following hip surgery and now also rehabbing a strained quad, was the top billed of the players originally found to be clients of the now defunct Biogenesis clinic. That came four years after he originally admitted to using steroids in 2001-03 while playing for the Rangers. He’s still owed about $100 million through 2017 under the terms of his deal with the Yankees.
According to Nightengale, MLB is also investigating whether Rodriguez attempted to destroy Biogenesis materials that would have linked him to the clinic. The New York Daily News reported earlier this month that a former Biogenesis employee, Porter Fischer, tried to sell documents to Rodriguez for $1 million, but was turned down by the player and his representatives.
- Video: Watch Matt Harvey’s return to action against the Tigers 0
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 21
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)