Jul 23, 2013, 6:34 PM EDT
USA TODAY’s Bob Nightengale hears that Alex Rodriguez intends to go down swinging.
Two people close to A-Rod told Nightengale that Rodriguez has no intention of negotiating a Biogenesis-related settlement with MLB and that he plans to appeal any suspension handed down.
Rodriguez’s penalty is expected to be more severe than the 65-game ban handed down to Ryan Braun on Monday. A person with knowledge of the investigation told Nightengale that the league is prepared to suspend A-Rod for at least 100 games. An appeal would make it unlikely that he serves any portion of a suspension this year.
Nightengale’s report comes less than a day after ESPNNewYork’s Wallace Matthews said Rodriguez was trying to cut a deal with the league.
Rodriguez, currently on the DL following hip surgery and now also rehabbing a strained quad, was the top billed of the players originally found to be clients of the now defunct Biogenesis clinic. That came four years after he originally admitted to using steroids in 2001-03 while playing for the Rangers. He’s still owed about $100 million through 2017 under the terms of his deal with the Yankees.
According to Nightengale, MLB is also investigating whether Rodriguez attempted to destroy Biogenesis materials that would have linked him to the clinic. The New York Daily News reported earlier this month that a former Biogenesis employee, Porter Fischer, tried to sell documents to Rodriguez for $1 million, but was turned down by the player and his representatives.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 8
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 13
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)