Tim Lincecum’s no-hitter follow-up: 3.2 innings, 8 runs

Jul 23, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT

Tim Lincecum AP

Thanks to the All-Star break Tim Lincecum got nine days off after throwing a staggering 148 pitches in his no-hitter against the Padres, but his follow-up start was still a mess last night.

Lincecum failed to make it out of the fourth inning against the Reds, allowing a career-high eight earned runs on nine hits, including a career-high three homers. In the span of 78 pitches his ERA rose from 4.26 to 4.71.

However, afterward Lincecum insisted that the 148-pitch start took “no toll” on him physically, saying: “I felt just as normal as I have in recent starts.”

Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com notes that Lincecum threw a between-starts bullpen session during the long layoff, but last night his fastball “fastball barely grazed 90 mph” and “the changeups turned to blobs.”

1. El Bravo - Jul 23, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Blobs are easy to hit but I can’t imagine they travel very far before separating into various chunks and smaller blobs.

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 23, 2013 at 11:02 AM

/goes and lights lava lamp

2. hcf95688 - Jul 23, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Tired of all the Royal Baby crap, I switched from the 10 O’clock News to the Giants postgame show. In his interview, Botchy said Timmy looked fatigued from the high pitch count first inning…yeah, I’m sure THAT’s what it was. Even better quote, from Krukow: Timmy pitched well, he just got unlucky and left a few pitches up.

• fanofevilempire - Jul 23, 2013 at 10:59 AM

what do want then to say, ” Timmy got his ass lit up and he made us lose”

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 23, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Exactly right. Then he’d just be here shouting about how they threw him under the bus.

• hcf95688 - Jul 23, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Ummmm…yeah. Or “The Reds, they sure aint the Padres”. Or “Johnny Vander Meer wasn’t really sweating this one”. But he got unlucky? No need to sugar-coat things or insult anyone’s intelligence.

• therealtrenches - Jul 23, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Actually, it would be really refreshing if he said that, rather than the scripted bullshit every franchise’s “team” of “handlers” “coaches” their players and managers to say.

3. unclemosesgreen - Jul 23, 2013 at 10:59 AM

I’m already angry at my fingers for even typing this but when I saw his pitch count for the no-no I involuntarily thought of Johan Santana. Hopefully this one has a different ending.

• neoshweaty - Jul 23, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Yeah, Santana mixed in some decent starts after the No no but then just fell apart and needed another surgery. Makes me sad just typing that out.

• Francisco (FC) - Jul 23, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Recall that Santana didn’t really fall off his rails until he hurt his ankle. Not being able to plant that front foot firmly had as much to do with his performance as anything else.

4. tbutler704 - Jul 23, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Big Time Timmy Jim didn’t get that reefer in before the game. SF Giants should have someone handling that by now.

5. gigab0t - Jul 23, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Should never have cut his hair

• bfunk1978 - Jul 23, 2013 at 11:39 AM

It was like Samson and Goliath out there. #mixedBiblemetaphors

6. blabidibla - Jul 23, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Told you. He used up his magic fairy dust on that No No. Now he’s going to suck the rest of the year.

7. Francisco (FC) - Jul 23, 2013 at 12:08 PM

He had *too* much time off…. :)

8. Glenn - Jul 23, 2013 at 12:18 PM

I’m going to blame the Home Run Derby.

• gunpowderjones - Jul 23, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Some of those guys may have performed better in the derby if Timmy were pitching. One year I hope somebody goes and says something like “yeahhh give me Kevin Correia”.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5116)