Wanna buy Bill Buckner’s ranch?

Jul 23, 2013, 11:32 AM EDT

Buckner Ranch

The latest ballplayer real estate listing. This one in Idaho. It’s Bill Buckner‘s ranch. $1.7 million for the four-acre property with a five-bedroom house covering over 6,600 square feet.

The listing over at Realtor.com suggests says that Buckner retired to Idaho after his long playing career. I’ve seen stories about him in the past 15 years or so that use the word “retreated” to Idaho, with the idea being that his post-1986 World Series blunder required that he remove himself from society. While it’d be understandable if he didn’t want to do deal with too many people after that, nothing I’ve read about the guy suggests that he’s the sort who can’t take it.  He’s been back to Boston a lot since 1986 and it’s always gone well.  Dude just wanted some property.

And now it can be yours. If you have a couple million.

1. fanofevilempire - Jul 23, 2013 at 11:35 AM

why would I leave NY for Idaho?

• ditto65 - Jul 23, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Potatoes?

• commonsenseisnotcmonman - Jul 23, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Po-tay-toes*

• fanofevilempire - Jul 23, 2013 at 1:42 PM

I just bought a bag from Idaho for $ 2.00 @ the super market, so moving there
        is not necessary.

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 23, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Because Idaho is a peaceful, scenic destination and NYC is noisy and congested?

• fanofevilempire - Jul 23, 2013 at 1:40 PM

I never complained about NY, I love this place, it is so nice they named it twice.
        If you think it is so great you move there.

• spudchukar - Jul 23, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Been to NY, a couple of times. Exciting, entertaining and a gas. But living there not so much. I’ll take Idaho anyday.

• genericcommenter - Jul 23, 2013 at 2:57 PM

A couple million gets you a house with land instead of a closet in a rooming house.

2. The Dangerous Mabry - Jul 23, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Is that only a two car garage? Man, Buckner really dropped the ball on that one.

• sportsdrenched - Jul 23, 2013 at 11:50 AM

If you look at the Realtors link it’s a 3 car, plus there appears to be a 2 bay garage on the back side of the property.

• The Dangerous Mabry - Jul 23, 2013 at 12:00 PM

The 2 car deal was the only thing pictured in the link, but really, I don’t care about the size of the garage. I was just looking for an excuse to say that Buckner dropped the ball. I’m petty and mean, I know, but it was just so easy.

• pinkfloydprism - Jul 23, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Actually, you can clearly see a 3 car in the overhead shot.

• db105 - Jul 23, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Why does history make it sound as though Buckner cost the Red Sox the 86 WS while there’s no mention of the 2 relief pitchers that had blown the 2 run lead in that 10th inning? Many think that had Buckner come up with that ground ball the Red Sox would’ve won the WS but the fact is Game 6 would’ve gone to the 11 inning.

• The Dangerous Mabry - Jul 23, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Nah. Ask Mookie. He’d have beaten it out anyway. He’s said it many times, and Mook knows his business.

• fanofevilempire - Jul 23, 2013 at 1:44 PM

and they lost game 7 the next night.

• fanofevilempire - Jul 23, 2013 at 1:43 PM

you are too hard on yourself, I think you like jokes, nothing wrong with that.

3. FinFan68 - Jul 23, 2013 at 11:41 AM

The driveway goes through the legs of a giant statue

4. spudchukar - Jul 23, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Yep, Bill makes an appearance up here in Sun Valley occasionally. Don’t know why Bill is selling but perhaps he is relocating to this area, much nicer than Boise.

• Old Gator - Jul 23, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Meh. Gimme Sandpoint.

• spudchukar - Jul 23, 2013 at 2:14 PM

It was my first home in Idaho. Resurrected an old theatre there, and probably would have never left, but my ex ran away with my child and if I wanted to be a dad had to come to the Southern part of the state. So Ketchum is my 2nd choice, but Stanley would give Sandpoint a run for its money.

5. APBA Guy - Jul 23, 2013 at 11:55 AM

I think STex would agree with me that 4 acres is mighty small for a “ranch”. I think the realtors description of “ranch estate” is more accurate.

Nice house, but damn, Idaho gets cold. I hope he’s moving to someplace warm.

And Craig, I love these features.

• stex52 - Jul 23, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Right APBA. Four acres is probably enough to exercise one horse. And the house looks like it eats up some of that land. What he has is a beautiful home in a beautiful location. When I drove through Idaho/Montana several years back I believe they were calling those “ranchette developments”.

But it’s nobody’s ranch.

• spudchukar - Jul 23, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Actually Boise doesn’t get very cold. Yeah it snows there sometimes, but seldom lasts long. And it isn’t particularly gorgeous. Lots of wilderness close, but in the Boise area, not so much.

• stex52 - Jul 23, 2013 at 12:50 PM

It has a certain starkness that I like, but I like New Mexico, too. If I was ultra-rich, I’d have an escape place like that in the summer for about six weeks. Like you say, Spud, it is close to some really nice wilderness.

Then I’d split the rest of the time between my little estate in Monterrey and my condo on Beacon Hill.

6. sportsdrenched - Jul 23, 2013 at 11:57 AM

After looking at the pics on the link I’d hardly call that removed from society. Hell, you can even see town. Some dudes just like locations. He had the means so he set up a nice spread.

Now, if someone wanted to go off the grid because they couldn’t handle things. I might recomend this place in Idaho.

7. drone501 - Jul 23, 2013 at 12:29 PM

at 1.7 mil that is a steal. what a beautiful house.

8. historiophiliac - Jul 23, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Hello. My name is Sammy Sosa. Yes, Fake Sammy Sosa — because the Real Sammy Sosa cannot exist in a northern climate. Remember, never let them see you shiver. But allow my virtual self and this lovely ochre sweater to demonstrate the beauties of this fantastic ranchlette for you. It’s the perfect escape for those who cannot tolerate the glare of South Beach. God bless you and your replacement level bank accounts.

/smiles warmly

• APBA Guy - Jul 23, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Obviously the down-thumbers don’t remember Sammy’s famous commercials.

• historiophiliac - Jul 23, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Thank You! Sheesh.

9. tfbuckfutter - Jul 23, 2013 at 1:02 PM

I was going to say “If you had $1.7 million why would you want to live in Idaho?”

But then I realized that’s like $14 billion anywhere that has….you know….things to do.

• sportsdrenched - Jul 23, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Let’s see, there’s proably skiing, mountain biking, rock climbing, hiking, backpacking, star gazing, camping, kayaking, hunting, fishing, and wildlife photography oppotunities within an hours drive of that place.

Just remember, some peoples vacations are your worst nightmare. Just as your idea of things to do is probably my worst nightmare.

• tfbuckfutter - Jul 23, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Yes. VACATION.

There’s a difference.

• mogogo1 - Jul 23, 2013 at 4:46 PM

The guy retired with lots of money. I don’t see a real distinction between that and vacation beyond the fact he’s got way more than a week or two to enjoy it.

10. stlouis1baseball - Jul 23, 2013 at 1:18 PM

That is a whole lot of house at $1.7 million.

11. nolanwiffle - Jul 23, 2013 at 1:22 PM

I have, as of this moment, ceased feeling bad for Billy Bucks.

12. coloradostupid - Jul 23, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Anywhere is better than anywhere the Yankees play. Bring on the thumbs down.

• fanofevilempire - Jul 23, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Colorado, really?

• coloradostupid - Jul 23, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Nahhhh…….., I do appreciate the NYY’s – especially this year, since they are in a very tough spot with injuries, and are still in contention. Just being smart.

13. The Grand Occident - Jul 23, 2013 at 1:57 PM

“why would I leave NY for Idaho?”

Because it doesn’t look like a Third World cesspool controlled by Jews?

• tfbuckfutter - Jul 23, 2013 at 2:04 PM

dafuq?

• historiophiliac - Jul 23, 2013 at 2:18 PM

What’s with all the anti-Semitism lately? Biz-arre.

• tfbuckfutter - Jul 23, 2013 at 2:23 PM

I think he’s just trying to get signed by RAJ.

• historiophiliac - Jul 23, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Nice, but might be too subtle to get a response.

• spudchukar - Jul 23, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Well, you have just entered Hardball HOF for ugly, ignorant comments. Made it on the first ballot too.

• jcmeyer10 - Jul 23, 2013 at 2:26 PM

This is what happens when ESPN goes to Facebook comments. Trolls/racists will look for a new corner to operate.

14. The Grand Occident - Jul 23, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Anti-Semitism is a natural reaction to Hebrew treachery. Examine the historical record of the Jews (expelled over 100 times from various places) and ask yourself: is EVERYONE a “hater” or is it possible Jews behave in a fashion which causes people to dislike them?

• jcmeyer10 - Jul 23, 2013 at 4:17 PM

15. The Grand Occident - Jul 23, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Jews are less than 3% of the US population but the commissioners of MLB, NBA, NHL, are all kosher. Not to mention all EIGHT major movie studios.

Those poor, oppressed Hebrews.

• tfbuckfutter - Jul 23, 2013 at 11:03 PM

I know I’m late to the party….

But I love this angle on racism.

It’s not like “Ooohh, those dirty Muslims trying to blow us up and instill Sharia Law”….

You are LITERALLY bitching because they are too successful. “Those damn Jews being good at stuff! Who do they think they are?!”

16. stex52 - Jul 23, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Hey Craig!! Over here! We have some work for you!

Not sure if it’s a troll or a true believer. But whatever.

• The Grand Occident - Jul 23, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Yes, have to quiet anyone who doesn’t agree with the media masters.

• stex52 - Jul 23, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Just as I thought. Troll.

• historiophiliac - Jul 23, 2013 at 3:25 PM

stex, I think you just got upgraded to “media master.” Don’t let it go to your head now.

• jcmeyer10 - Jul 23, 2013 at 3:26 PM

No, we just don’t have to tolerate it at this particular location. I’m sure you know the sites that welcome this kind of talk.

• stex52 - Jul 23, 2013 at 3:45 PM

C’mon guys, “Hebrews”? I’ve known a fair number of Palestinians with axes to grind in my life, and none of them calls them “Hebrews”. How 19th century can you get?

It just screamed “troll”.

• stex52 - Jul 23, 2013 at 3:53 PM

And just for the record, I wouldn’t choose to live in NYC, but I sure enjoy visiting it.

Cesspool indeed!

• historiophiliac - Jul 23, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Oh, it’s an obvious troll and not an especially slick one. I appreciate the 19th century-ness though — even if it lacks some of the language to ring true to 19th century racism. I also appreciate that the obviousness tips the hand so one does not believe the author truly believes such things, but on the other hand, why bother then. Also, it lacks context. And, the handle is laughable.

• jcmeyer10 - Jul 23, 2013 at 4:15 PM

historiophiliac:

He/she went to an awful lot of trouble for a troll. I’m afraid I learned this by giving his WordPress Site a visit.

• historiophiliac - Jul 23, 2013 at 4:39 PM

If it is Henry Ford worthy, I might have to check it out, jc. It seemed too ridiculous to be true.

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 23, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Wow…dude…you got it bad huh?

• jcmeyer10 - Jul 23, 2013 at 3:57 PM

His WordPress page sure ain’t kidding.

• stex52 - Jul 23, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Wow, I’m impressed. Wonder how he has time for baseball.

• stex52 - Jul 23, 2013 at 4:21 PM

I’ve known a fair number of white supremacists over the years, too. Still don’t recall “Hebrew.”

I’ll bet he’s into the Protocols of the Elders of Zion, also.

I called troll because I assumed a rudimentary level of intelligence. Could have been wrong.

• nukeladouche - Jul 23, 2013 at 6:25 PM

I visited his WordPress page and now regret it. Scary stuff.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2837)