Jul 23, 2013, 4:37 PM EST
You’ve heard me blather for two days now — my favorite hate comment so far was one calling me “calcaterr-ible” — so this is more of a links thing. Two good ones.
First: Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel talking about the decision making, such as he can determine it, into the length of Ryan Braun‘s suspension. It puts to rest the notion — floated by some scribes on Twitter yesterday — that Braun was suspended “50 games for the violation, 15 games for being an a**hole.” Which is hilarious if it were true, but sadly isn’t.
But the notion that it was 65 days because “it just happened to be 65 games left [in the season]. If he had gotten back to them a day later, it would have been 64 games” is a bit curious. If A-Rod delays a week, does he get less of a suspension? Is MLB just trying to put an end-cap on all discipline happening this season?
The other worthy link is from Tim Marchman over at Deadspin, who actually put the question of where the 65 games came from to both MLB and MLBPA. The answers are … less than illuminating.
None of which makes the discipline bad policy or bad form in any way. It just would be nice to know what standards the league is applying and how it’s coming to these decisions. Maybe that’s for after all of the Biogenesis discipline is done. But it should come at some point.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 77
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 45
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 26
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)