Jul 24, 2013, 6:01 PM EST
The Alfonso Soriano Hug Watch is on, but while the aging slugger isn’t in the Cubs lineup for Wednesday’s game against the Diamondbacks, it was simply a scheduled day off, according to CSNChicago.com’s Patrick Mooney.
The Cubs have newcomer Junior Lake filling in for Soriano in left field tonight. Lake had been playing center field the last few days, but David DeJesus came off the disabled list today and has reclaimed his old position. Dave Sappelt was sent down to make room for DeJesus.
Soriano was rumored to be headed back to the Bronx with the Yankees on Monday night, but it appears the New York Post jumped the gun there, and even if a trade does get agreed to, Soriano hasn’t committed to waiving his no-trade clause.
“If they get something close, I want to have time to think about it,” Soriano said Tuesday. “But now there’s nothing to think about.”
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 7
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 245
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 48
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 130
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 113
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (247)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (130)
- Yankees fans: would you give up the 2009 title just to be rid of A-Rod? (122)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (113)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)