Jul 24, 2013, 2:14 PM EDT
Designated for assignment by the Royals last week, right-hander J.C. Gutierrez was claimed off waivers by the Angels.
Gutierrez had a 3.38 ERA and 17/8 K/BB ratio in 29 innings for the Royals this season, but he’s 29 years old with no previous big-league success.
He also doesn’t have a very impressive minor-league track record, although most of his work in the minors came as a starter and Gutierrez has averaged 95 miles per hour with his fastball since moving to the bullpen full time.
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 8
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 8
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 6
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 34
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day (82)