Jul 24, 2013, 2:14 PM EDT
Designated for assignment by the Royals last week, right-hander J.C. Gutierrez was claimed off waivers by the Angels.
Gutierrez had a 3.38 ERA and 17/8 K/BB ratio in 29 innings for the Royals this season, but he’s 29 years old with no previous big-league success.
He also doesn’t have a very impressive minor-league track record, although most of his work in the minors came as a starter and Gutierrez has averaged 95 miles per hour with his fastball since moving to the bullpen full time.
- Report: Cubs calling up prospect infielder Addison Russell 0
- Jonathan Lucroy headed to disabled list with broken toe 5
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 40
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 14
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 14
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (129)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (107)