Jul 24, 2013, 2:14 PM EST
Designated for assignment by the Royals last week, right-hander J.C. Gutierrez was claimed off waivers by the Angels.
Gutierrez had a 3.38 ERA and 17/8 K/BB ratio in 29 innings for the Royals this season, but he’s 29 years old with no previous big-league success.
He also doesn’t have a very impressive minor-league track record, although most of his work in the minors came as a starter and Gutierrez has averaged 95 miles per hour with his fastball since moving to the bullpen full time.
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 64
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 32
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 119
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (119)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (93)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)