Jul 24, 2013, 2:14 PM EDT
Designated for assignment by the Royals last week, right-hander J.C. Gutierrez was claimed off waivers by the Angels.
Gutierrez had a 3.38 ERA and 17/8 K/BB ratio in 29 innings for the Royals this season, but he’s 29 years old with no previous big-league success.
He also doesn’t have a very impressive minor-league track record, although most of his work in the minors came as a starter and Gutierrez has averaged 95 miles per hour with his fastball since moving to the bullpen full time.
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 54
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 5
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 16
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 8
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 20
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (73)