Jul 24, 2013, 8:35 PM EDT
Just awful timing here for the second-place Phillies.
According to beat writer Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly, left fielder Domonic Brown was complaining of concussion-like symptoms Wednesday after banging his head hard at Busch Stadium on Tuesday night while diving for a Carlos Beltran line drive. Brown missed the ball, Beltran wound up with a triple and later scored as the Phillies lost the game 4-1.
Brown will be monitored closely over the next couple of nights by the Philadelphia training staff. He’s going to be on the bench until at least Friday and could be placed on the 7-day concussion disabled list if the symptoms linger throughout this week.
Brown, 25, is batting .271/.316/.531 with 24 home runs and 69 RBI in 99 games this season. It has been a true breakout year for the former top prospect, who had a dismal .235/.316/.396 batting line in 2012.
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 4
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 15
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 48
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 49
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)