Happy Birthday to the greatest of all time!

Jul 24, 2013, 5:44 PM EST

source:

Well, greatest at least from the 1970s forward. A good argument for the greatest since Ted Williams. Definitely inner-circle. Gotta be in your top five, no? Either way, he’s 49 years-old today.

And yes, I put this up to annoy you guys. Have at the Home Run King. He can take it. He can take it with those big, strong, muscular shoulders!

And for cryin’ out loud, let’s remember that baseball is just a game and it’s supposed to be fun. We argue back and forth and up and down about this stuff all the time, especially now when PEDs are in the news, but this stuff is not as important as your family or your job or any number of other things in life. Because, again: it’s a game.

And in light if it being a game, tell me having Barry and his fellow travelers to first watch and then mock and hate hasn’t been fun in some twisted way. You know it has been.

1. Gamera the Brave - Jul 24, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Watched Bonds hit #712. Never seen a ball hit that hard. It was truly amazing, like it was shot out of a howitzer…

Yeah, pretty clear he was ‘roided up – but a lot of entertainment!

2. stlouis1baseball - Jul 25, 2013 at 9:26 AM

And just for the record C.C…Ozzie Smith’s birthday is NOT today.

3. jerseydevi1 - Jul 25, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Bonds before ‘Roids was fun to watch. I never got into the whole Sosa vs. McGwire show. Come to think of it, I may have even stood up for Barry. I never understood why he did what he did either, such an unnecessary direction to take. Without doubt, had he kept the way he was going, he would be one of the greats. To me though, not anymore.

Just my opinion.

4. tuloisgod - Jul 25, 2013 at 10:09 AM

I had the “pleasure” of seeing Bonds hit No. 762, his last bomb, at Coors Field. I might have been the only person there who recognized at that moment that it: A) Set a new Major League record (as did all of his HRs after 756) and that it might very well be his last one. Of note, it didn’t really clear the fence — a “fan” reached over and pulled it in. I probably would have done the same thing, quite frankly. He was a great player, PEDs or not, and, despite being known as a world-class jerk, he did his job very, very well.

Interestingly, that game was in early September of 2007, when I started attending every game on the premise that I would go until the Rockies got mathematically eliminated.

5. scyankee64 - Jul 25, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Is it Babe Ruth’s birthday?

6. CyclePower - Jul 25, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Craig obviously supports doping in baseball because he, himself, administers a performance enhancing cocktail of coffee, cocaine, Adderall and bourbon every morning to maintain his prolific posting schedule.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. H. Ramirez (4432)