Jul 24, 2013, 5:44 PM EST
Well, greatest at least from the 1970s forward. A good argument for the greatest since Ted Williams. Definitely inner-circle. Gotta be in your top five, no? Either way, he’s 49 years-old today.
And yes, I put this up to annoy you guys. Have at the Home Run King. He can take it. He can take it with those big, strong, muscular shoulders!
And for cryin’ out loud, let’s remember that baseball is just a game and it’s supposed to be fun. We argue back and forth and up and down about this stuff all the time, especially now when PEDs are in the news, but this stuff is not as important as your family or your job or any number of other things in life. Because, again: it’s a game.
And in light if it being a game, tell me having Barry and his fellow travelers to first watch and then mock and hate hasn’t been fun in some twisted way. You know it has been.
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 48
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)