Jul 24, 2013, 1:39 AM EDT
Mets first baseman Ike Davis attempted to bunt for a base hit in the bottom of the second inning with one out and the bases empty and his team down 1-0. He was facing an infield shift, so his thought was to drop a bunt down the third base line for an easy infield single, but instead, he bunted right back to Braves starter Kris Medlen for the 1-3 putout. The crowd of nearly 25,000 at Citi Field booed Davis as he walked back to the dugout.
Davis is used to the booing, though, and defended his decision to bunt when speaking to the media after the game. Via ESPN’s Adam Rubin:
Power hitters don’t normally bunt, but Davis said he plans to try doing it more this again.
“I mean, I get out a lot anyway, so might as well give it a try,” Davis said, with a wry smile. “If I get it down in the right spot, it’s a hit. I’m definitely gonna try to do that more often.”
“Ike’s just trying to get on base,” Collins said. “And I will tell you, he’s gonna see [the shift] again, and if you wanna bunt, go ahead and bunt.”
Davis has had an awful season. Tonight’s 1-for-4 performance actually bumped his batting average up to .178 but his OPS is still a disappointing .531. The only players in baseball with a worse OPS (min. 200 plate appearances) are Brendan Ryan of the Mariners (.521) and teammate Ruben Tejada (.529).
Davis was demoted to Triple-A Las Vegas after going 0-for-3 on June 9. In 21 games under 51s manager Wally Backman, Davis hit .293 with a 1.091 OPS. He was recalled after going 3-for-4 on July 3. Between his return to the Majors on July 5 and prior to today’s game, Davis posted a .257/.381/.286 line. The on-base percentage is nice, but a .286 slugging percentage is far below what is expected even from a below-average first baseman (the average first baseman in the NL has slugged .415). Bunting isn’t going to help that.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 12
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 45
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 45
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 90
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)