Jul 24, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT
Grant Brisbee has a great column up over at SB Nation today in which he points out that the only people who truly have the right to feel rage over the PED stuff are the most direct victims of it: the Skip Schumakers of the world. The players who fight hard to make a roster and a living and a career only to have to compete with guys who will take banned substances, making it that much harder for them.
It’s a dead on assessment, especially the part in which he notes that, to the extent our rage is about the record books or the Hall of Fame or milestones, such rage is totally misguided overblown and frankly silly. I highly recommend it.
One minor side note: While I know the current thing is to say folks like me blindly defend PED users and are nihilists and all of that, I would like the record to reflect that I was making the point Grant makes back in 2007, around a month after I started blogging.
I don’t say this to take away anything from Grant’s piece as it is a way better-written and thought-out post than anything I did on it. I offer it just to remind you folks that I am not some mindless apologist. PED use is wrong and has victims. It’s just not wrong for the reasons most of the blowhards like to say it is.
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 3
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 14
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 18
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 34
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)