Jul 24, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT
Grant Brisbee has a great column up over at SB Nation today in which he points out that the only people who truly have the right to feel rage over the PED stuff are the most direct victims of it: the Skip Schumakers of the world. The players who fight hard to make a roster and a living and a career only to have to compete with guys who will take banned substances, making it that much harder for them.
It’s a dead on assessment, especially the part in which he notes that, to the extent our rage is about the record books or the Hall of Fame or milestones, such rage is totally misguided overblown and frankly silly. I highly recommend it.
One minor side note: While I know the current thing is to say folks like me blindly defend PED users and are nihilists and all of that, I would like the record to reflect that I was making the point Grant makes back in 2007, around a month after I started blogging.
I don’t say this to take away anything from Grant’s piece as it is a way better-written and thought-out post than anything I did on it. I offer it just to remind you folks that I am not some mindless apologist. PED use is wrong and has victims. It’s just not wrong for the reasons most of the blowhards like to say it is.
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 0
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 55
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 82
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (242)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)