Jul 24, 2013, 2:30 PM EST
Grant Brisbee has a great column up over at SB Nation today in which he points out that the only people who truly have the right to feel rage over the PED stuff are the most direct victims of it: the Skip Schumakers of the world. The players who fight hard to make a roster and a living and a career only to have to compete with guys who will take banned substances, making it that much harder for them.
It’s a dead on assessment, especially the part in which he notes that, to the extent our rage is about the record books or the Hall of Fame or milestones, such rage is totally misguided overblown and frankly silly. I highly recommend it.
One minor side note: While I know the current thing is to say folks like me blindly defend PED users and are nihilists and all of that, I would like the record to reflect that I was making the point Grant makes back in 2007, around a month after I started blogging.
I don’t say this to take away anything from Grant’s piece as it is a way better-written and thought-out post than anything I did on it. I offer it just to remind you folks that I am not some mindless apologist. PED use is wrong and has victims. It’s just not wrong for the reasons most of the blowhards like to say it is.
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 120
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 19
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 213
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (215)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)