Jul 24, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Joe Mauer was a last-minute scratch from last night’s lineup, leaving the Twins in California and flying back home to Minnesota because his wife went into labor with twins.
Her due date was August 31, but twins often arrive a lot earlier than expected and Mauer will miss at least a few games while on paternity leave. There wasn’t enough time to add another player to the roster for last night’s game, but Chris Herrmann started in Mauer’s place at catcher and ended up hitting a grand slam in the 10th inning to seal a victory over the Angels.
Drew Butera is on a cross-country flight from Rochester, New York to Anaheim, California to join the Twins for tonight’s game. And here in Minnesota there’s a different Royal Baby watch going on.
UPDATE: Twins baseball communications director Dustin Morse just announced that Maddie Mauer gave birth to twin girls named Emily and Maren early this morning. Joe made it back just in time.
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 16
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 9
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 26
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 23
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)