Jul 24, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Joe Mauer was a last-minute scratch from last night’s lineup, leaving the Twins in California and flying back home to Minnesota because his wife went into labor with twins.
Her due date was August 31, but twins often arrive a lot earlier than expected and Mauer will miss at least a few games while on paternity leave. There wasn’t enough time to add another player to the roster for last night’s game, but Chris Herrmann started in Mauer’s place at catcher and ended up hitting a grand slam in the 10th inning to seal a victory over the Angels.
Drew Butera is on a cross-country flight from Rochester, New York to Anaheim, California to join the Twins for tonight’s game. And here in Minnesota there’s a different Royal Baby watch going on.
UPDATE: Twins baseball communications director Dustin Morse just announced that Maddie Mauer gave birth to twin girls named Emily and Maren early this morning. Joe made it back just in time.
- Hanley Ramirez exits game with a left shoulder sprain 11
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 13
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 94
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 26
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 55
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (120)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)