Jul 24, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Joe Mauer was a last-minute scratch from last night’s lineup, leaving the Twins in California and flying back home to Minnesota because his wife went into labor with twins.
Her due date was August 31, but twins often arrive a lot earlier than expected and Mauer will miss at least a few games while on paternity leave. There wasn’t enough time to add another player to the roster for last night’s game, but Chris Herrmann started in Mauer’s place at catcher and ended up hitting a grand slam in the 10th inning to seal a victory over the Angels.
Drew Butera is on a cross-country flight from Rochester, New York to Anaheim, California to join the Twins for tonight’s game. And here in Minnesota there’s a different Royal Baby watch going on.
UPDATE: Twins baseball communications director Dustin Morse just announced that Maddie Mauer gave birth to twin girls named Emily and Maren early this morning. Joe made it back just in time.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)