Mariners skipper Eric Wedge suffered a stroke

Jul 24, 2013, 7:18 PM EDT

eric wedge getty Getty Images

Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times passes along word that Mariners manager Eric Wedge suffered a mild stroke on Wednesday. The veteran skipper has already been released from a local hospital and is expected to make a full recovery, but he’ll miss the rest of Seattle’s series against the Twins and the following road trip as a precautionary measure.

Wedge, who turned 45 years old in January, is currently resting at his home in the Seattle area.

1. proudlycanadian - Jul 24, 2013 at 7:26 PM

I wish him well. Looks as if he received prompt medical attention.

2. losangelesfan - Jul 24, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Stroke at 45? That’s awful.

• beaglemix - Jul 24, 2013 at 9:06 PM

i am amazed and jealous. my father had a ‘minor’ stroke 6 weeks ago, was in icu for 3 weeks and has been in a rehab hospital since. he can’t swallow on his own, write, speak or walk, and there is a good chance he goes into a nursing home instead of ever going home again. i guess ‘minor’ has varying degrees. lucky for wedge! strokes can be as scary as heart attacks.

• IdahoMariner - Jul 24, 2013 at 10:50 PM

that’s awful. I hope your father’s situation improves, and soon. best wishes.

• My Myasthenia Journey - Jul 24, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Don’t give up hope. My mother-in-law had a severe stroke. She talked, walked, spoke and used her left arm. And she went home. They just don’t know enough. His determination means everything.

• stex52 - Jul 25, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Best wishes, Beagle. I’m not into giving out false hopes, but sometimes neuro healing does come, just extremely slowly. Like a year or more. Or more. But certainly don’t give up hope for improvement.

3. jaybyrd99 - Jul 24, 2013 at 7:50 PM

That’s scary and some serious business . Glad he was treated and is doing well.

4. kevinravens1 - Jul 24, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Get well soon Eric Wedge!!!! Wishing you a fast recovery!!!

5. rbj1 - Jul 24, 2013 at 8:13 PM

45? Young. I turn 49 in less than three months. Course, I haven’t been able to work out since last October due to a bone bruise, pneumonia, and tendonitis in my elbow. And I recently got progressive lenses.

• historiophiliac - Jul 24, 2013 at 8:34 PM

You might want to consider PED’s.

• beaglemix - Jul 24, 2013 at 9:08 PM

don’t you mean ‘anti-aging’ supplements?

• rbj1 - Jul 24, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Actually, one of the drugs I was prescribed for pneumonia was a steroid (6 day, no refill.) Definitely screwed with my “mood” in a way I didn’t like. And I’ve been to Dead shows (was able to walk away from that path under my own power) so I’m no stranger to the effects of various stuff.

I don’t want steroids legalized. I’m less afraid of LSD.

• bigdell - Jul 25, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Why do you think that anyone cares? Do you manage a Major League Team?

6. dondada10 - Jul 24, 2013 at 9:07 PM

If Eric Wedge was my father, I wouldn’t want him going back to work this year. He should just rest and relax for a while.

7. aceshigh11 - Jul 24, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Goddamn, way too young. That scares the hell out of me.

8. rbj1 - Jul 24, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Eric should take the rest of the season off and figure out what caused this. Best of luck.

• My Myasthenia Journey - Jul 25, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Agreed. Not like they will make the playoffs anyways.

9. bmcgrath2 - Jul 24, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Holy crap, Wedge is only 45? He was a young skipper when he got the Indians job.

10. proudliberal85392 - Jul 24, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Get well soon, Eric!

11. mudhead123 - Jul 24, 2013 at 11:02 PM

He’s only 45? Wow, he looks really old

12. modellforprez - Jul 24, 2013 at 11:52 PM

No offense and first and foremost i hope Eric has a safe and speedy recovery but if wouldnt you have a stroke/heartattack if you managed that team. and if he didnt have king felix he would probably wanna commit suicide

13. Bob - Jul 25, 2013 at 12:50 AM

It actually happened Monday. He was taken to the hospital after he got dizzy during batting practice that night. Robby Thompson managed the Mariners during the Indians series that started Monday.

14. stex52 - Jul 25, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Very young. They definitely need to look at causes.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5199)