Jul 24, 2013, 6:42 PM EDT
From Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times comes word that the Dodgers have placed outfielder Matt Kemp on the 15-day disabled list (for the third time this season) because of a sprained left ankle.
Kemp suffered the injury Sunday on an awkward slide into home plate. It was his first game since returning from a shoulder strain, and he also missed time earlier this year with a right hamstring injury.
Kemp, 28, has hit .263/.319/.382 with five homers and 69 strikeouts in 251 plate appearances this season and he’s appeared in just 62 of a possible 100 games so far. He is making $21 million this year and is owed another $128 million through 2019.
Ted Lilly was activated in a corresponding roster move and will pitch out of the Dodgers’ bullpen.
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 14
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 6
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 39
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)