Jul 24, 2013, 4:46 PM EDT
Rays pitching prospect Taylor Guerrieri is having Tommy John elbow surgery today, according to Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times.
Guerrieri was the Rays’ first-round pick in 2011 and came into the season ranked as a top-75 prospect by both Baseball America and MLB.com (he also cracked both top-100 lists last season). He pitched very well at low Single-A before being shut down, starting 14 games with a 2.01 ERA and 51/12 K/BB ratio in 67 innings as a 20-year-old.
Guerrieri will miss the remainder of this season and will likely be sidelined for most of next season as well, potentially returning in the second half.
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 27
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 94
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 17
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 80
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 10
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 93
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 21
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (280)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)