Jul 24, 2013, 4:46 PM EDT
Rays pitching prospect Taylor Guerrieri is having Tommy John elbow surgery today, according to Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times.
Guerrieri was the Rays’ first-round pick in 2011 and came into the season ranked as a top-75 prospect by both Baseball America and MLB.com (he also cracked both top-100 lists last season). He pitched very well at low Single-A before being shut down, starting 14 games with a 2.01 ERA and 51/12 K/BB ratio in 67 innings as a 20-year-old.
Guerrieri will miss the remainder of this season and will likely be sidelined for most of next season as well, potentially returning in the second half.
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 38
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (102)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)