Jul 24, 2013, 4:46 PM EDT
Rays pitching prospect Taylor Guerrieri is having Tommy John elbow surgery today, according to Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times.
Guerrieri was the Rays’ first-round pick in 2011 and came into the season ranked as a top-75 prospect by both Baseball America and MLB.com (he also cracked both top-100 lists last season). He pitched very well at low Single-A before being shut down, starting 14 games with a 2.01 ERA and 51/12 K/BB ratio in 67 innings as a 20-year-old.
Guerrieri will miss the remainder of this season and will likely be sidelined for most of next season as well, potentially returning in the second half.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 87
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)