Jul 24, 2013, 4:46 PM EDT
Rays pitching prospect Taylor Guerrieri is having Tommy John elbow surgery today, according to Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times.
Guerrieri was the Rays’ first-round pick in 2011 and came into the season ranked as a top-75 prospect by both Baseball America and MLB.com (he also cracked both top-100 lists last season). He pitched very well at low Single-A before being shut down, starting 14 games with a 2.01 ERA and 51/12 K/BB ratio in 67 innings as a 20-year-old.
Guerrieri will miss the remainder of this season and will likely be sidelined for most of next season as well, potentially returning in the second half.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 17
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 22
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 39
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 66
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (164)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)