Jul 24, 2013, 4:46 PM EST
Rays pitching prospect Taylor Guerrieri is having Tommy John elbow surgery today, according to Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times.
Guerrieri was the Rays’ first-round pick in 2011 and came into the season ranked as a top-75 prospect by both Baseball America and MLB.com (he also cracked both top-100 lists last season). He pitched very well at low Single-A before being shut down, starting 14 games with a 2.01 ERA and 51/12 K/BB ratio in 67 innings as a 20-year-old.
Guerrieri will miss the remainder of this season and will likely be sidelined for most of next season as well, potentially returning in the second half.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 9
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)