Jul 24, 2013, 9:19 PM EDT
It sounds like the Royals are going to be sellers — to some degree — at this year’s July 31 trade deadline.
According to FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal, the Kansas City front office is now “willing to listen” to offers on right-hander Ervin Santana, who has been among the best starters in the American League this season. Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star confirms that report but notes that the “price will be steep.”
Santana, 30, has registered a 3.18 ERA and 1.07 WHIP across 19 starts this summer for the 46-51 Royals, striking out 104 batters and issuing only 28 walks in 130 1/3 innings. He’s likely to draw interest from a wide range of contending teams. James Shields would draw even more trade interest, but there’s been no indication that he is being shopped.
Santana is earning $13 million this season. He will be eligible for free agency in November.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (127)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (99)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (98)