Jul 24, 2013, 9:19 PM EST
It sounds like the Royals are going to be sellers — to some degree — at this year’s July 31 trade deadline.
According to FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal, the Kansas City front office is now “willing to listen” to offers on right-hander Ervin Santana, who has been among the best starters in the American League this season. Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star confirms that report but notes that the “price will be steep.”
Santana, 30, has registered a 3.18 ERA and 1.07 WHIP across 19 starts this summer for the 46-51 Royals, striking out 104 batters and issuing only 28 walks in 130 1/3 innings. He’s likely to draw interest from a wide range of contending teams. James Shields would draw even more trade interest, but there’s been no indication that he is being shopped.
Santana is earning $13 million this season. He will be eligible for free agency in November.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)