Jul 24, 2013, 9:19 PM EDT
It sounds like the Royals are going to be sellers — to some degree — at this year’s July 31 trade deadline.
According to FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal, the Kansas City front office is now “willing to listen” to offers on right-hander Ervin Santana, who has been among the best starters in the American League this season. Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star confirms that report but notes that the “price will be steep.”
Santana, 30, has registered a 3.18 ERA and 1.07 WHIP across 19 starts this summer for the 46-51 Royals, striking out 104 batters and issuing only 28 walks in 130 1/3 innings. He’s likely to draw interest from a wide range of contending teams. James Shields would draw even more trade interest, but there’s been no indication that he is being shopped.
Santana is earning $13 million this season. He will be eligible for free agency in November.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 16
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 11
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 182
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (182)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)