Jul 24, 2013, 9:19 PM EDT
It sounds like the Royals are going to be sellers — to some degree — at this year’s July 31 trade deadline.
According to FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal, the Kansas City front office is now “willing to listen” to offers on right-hander Ervin Santana, who has been among the best starters in the American League this season. Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star confirms that report but notes that the “price will be steep.”
Santana, 30, has registered a 3.18 ERA and 1.07 WHIP across 19 starts this summer for the 46-51 Royals, striking out 104 batters and issuing only 28 walks in 130 1/3 innings. He’s likely to draw interest from a wide range of contending teams. James Shields would draw even more trade interest, but there’s been no indication that he is being shopped.
Santana is earning $13 million this season. He will be eligible for free agency in November.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 16
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (119)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)