Jul 24, 2013, 9:19 PM EDT
It sounds like the Royals are going to be sellers — to some degree — at this year’s July 31 trade deadline.
According to FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal, the Kansas City front office is now “willing to listen” to offers on right-hander Ervin Santana, who has been among the best starters in the American League this season. Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star confirms that report but notes that the “price will be steep.”
Santana, 30, has registered a 3.18 ERA and 1.07 WHIP across 19 starts this summer for the 46-51 Royals, striking out 104 batters and issuing only 28 walks in 130 1/3 innings. He’s likely to draw interest from a wide range of contending teams. James Shields would draw even more trade interest, but there’s been no indication that he is being shopped.
Santana is earning $13 million this season. He will be eligible for free agency in November.
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 0
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 6
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 85
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)