Jul 24, 2013, 10:04 PM EST
Braves right-hander Tim Hudson had to be carted off the field Wednesday night at New York’s Citi Field after suffering a major right ankle injury in the eighth inning of his start against the Mets.
Hudson had thrown 7 2/3 scoreless innings when he made contact with the Mets’ Eric Young Jr. at the first base bag. Young stepped flush across Hudson’s ankle while trying to plant his lead foot, and the result was gruesome. There’s a snippet of video here if you’re not squeamish.
Young was clearly upset about the play and many other Mets and Braves players gathered around to offer Hudson words of encouragement. The 38-year-old impending free agent is probably done for the rest of the 2013 season and he might even miss part of 2014. Atlanta will be adding Brandon Beachy (elbow) to its starting rotation shortly.
UPDATE, 10:55 p.m. ET: CBS Sports’ Danny Knobler reports that Hudson has a fractured right ankle and will undergo surgery in Atlanta when the swelling goes down. He is done for the year.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)