Jul 24, 2013, 10:04 PM EST
Braves right-hander Tim Hudson had to be carted off the field Wednesday night at New York’s Citi Field after suffering a major right ankle injury in the eighth inning of his start against the Mets.
Hudson had thrown 7 2/3 scoreless innings when he made contact with the Mets’ Eric Young Jr. at the first base bag. Young stepped flush across Hudson’s ankle while trying to plant his lead foot, and the result was gruesome. There’s a snippet of video here if you’re not squeamish.
Young was clearly upset about the play and many other Mets and Braves players gathered around to offer Hudson words of encouragement. The 38-year-old impending free agent is probably done for the rest of the 2013 season and he might even miss part of 2014. Atlanta will be adding Brandon Beachy (elbow) to its starting rotation shortly.
UPDATE, 10:55 p.m. ET: CBS Sports’ Danny Knobler reports that Hudson has a fractured right ankle and will undergo surgery in Atlanta when the swelling goes down. He is done for the year.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 20
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 75
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 45
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 141
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (143)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)