Tim Hudson carted off with fractured right ankle

Jul 24, 2013, 10:04 PM EDT

tim hudson getty Getty Images

Braves right-hander Tim Hudson had to be carted off the field Wednesday night at New York’s Citi Field after suffering a major right ankle injury in the eighth inning of his start against the Mets.

Hudson had thrown 7 2/3 scoreless innings when he made contact with the Mets’ Eric Young Jr. at the first base bag. Young stepped flush across Hudson’s ankle while trying to plant his lead foot, and the result was gruesome. There’s a snippet of video here if you’re not squeamish.

Young was clearly upset about the play and many other Mets and Braves players gathered around to offer Hudson words of encouragement. The 38-year-old impending free agent is probably done for the rest of the 2013 season and he might even miss part of 2014. Atlanta will be adding Brandon Beachy (elbow) to its starting rotation shortly.

***********************

UPDATE, 10:55 p.m. ET: CBS Sports’ Danny Knobler reports that Hudson has a fractured right ankle and will undergo surgery in Atlanta when the swelling goes down. He is done for the year.

1. sabatimus - Jul 24, 2013 at 10:10 PM

That was BAD. I’d not be surprised to see an Achilles and an sprained/broken ankle on that one.

• raysfan1 - Jul 24, 2013 at 10:15 PM

I doubt the Achilles’ tendon is injured just based on the video, but if he hasn’t ruptured ligaments and probably fractured at least one bone, I’ll be very surprised. I think his season’s done. Awful.

• gothapotamus90210 - Jul 25, 2013 at 8:32 AM

still not as bad as the notorious “slamball” injury:

2. josemartez - Jul 24, 2013 at 10:10 PM

That was an ugly, ugly thing to see. Hope like heck he can recover.

• umrguy42 - Jul 25, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Yikes. Not quite as ugly as that college basketball player in the NCAA tournament, but close.

3. paperlions - Jul 24, 2013 at 10:16 PM

They showed the replay in slow mo….and I had to immediately change the channel to avoid seeing the inevitable replay over and over….I’ll be limping around all evening.

That was ugly. Probably going to be a long road back.

4. cocheese000 - Jul 24, 2013 at 10:20 PM

Definitely looked like a compound fracture.

5. theaxmancometh - Jul 24, 2013 at 10:20 PM

F’in A Cotton

6. Last Road Reviews - Jul 24, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Braves announcers wished injury on Harvey. Words came back to haunt them. I like Hudson, but regardless unlike the Braves announcers I don’t wish injury on anybody. Classy move on EY going right over to him to see if he were ok

• flamethrower101 - Jul 24, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Braves announcers should’ve been fired over those comments. I wonder if any of the media members will bring that up post-game.

• chill1184 - Jul 24, 2013 at 10:32 PM

It happened over a month ago and it made no noise what so ever. If it was the reverse (Mets announcers wishing an injury on a Brave), the media would’ve been on it like white on rice.

• skids003 - Jul 25, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Bullsh*t. That was obviously said in a joking manner, and in a manner that insinuated the only way the Braves would score on him was if he strained an oblique. Why don’t you go cry to your mama if that offended you.

• sabatimus - Jul 24, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Where’s your source for that?

• Last Road Reviews - Jul 24, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Look it up. I don’t need a source it was said on air not in private.

• sabatimus - Jul 24, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Never mind, I found it. It was ill said, but hardly “I wish Harvey would get hurt”-caliber.

• evanwins - Jul 24, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Really? No big deal? “Maybe he can Get Harvey to strain his oblique”.

You can’t brush that under the carpet, it’s not cool on any level to say something that could be anywhere near construed as wishing another team’s player gets an injury.

And the other commentor is right, if the reverse was said by a team like the Mets, the Phillies, or the Yankees announcers there would be hell to pay and it would never be forgotten.

• GoneYickitty - Jul 24, 2013 at 10:44 PM

They’re always screwing up no-hitters too. Damn announcers.

• Chip Caray's Eyebrows - Jul 25, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Just went and found this appalling bit of audio. It may not have been in the greatest taste, but anyone who watches Braves games regularly can tell Joe Simpson was joking and wouldn’t actually wish injuries on other players.

Find something less stupid to be butt-hurt about, please.

• Last Road Reviews - Jul 25, 2013 at 12:04 AM

Joke or not its classless. If you don’t like what I have to say that’s your problem.

• tgthree - Jul 25, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Give me a break on the “classless” talk. It was clearly an offhand joking comment, and in reality was intended as kudos to Harvey, who was dominating the Braves that day. It was tantamount to him saying, “the only hope for the Braves to get any offense going is for Harvey to get hurt.” Simpson has been broadcasting for the Braves for over 20 years; you’re not going to talk for that many hours of your life and not say something that might not be, as Chip Caray’s Eyebrows mentions, “in the greatest taste.”

7. mrwillie - Jul 24, 2013 at 10:38 PM

As a Braves fan, you can’t say enough about the class shown by Eric Young after the injury. Good Man.

• yahmule - Jul 25, 2013 at 1:28 AM

EY is a class act, just like his father.

8. nysportsrule - Jul 24, 2013 at 11:00 PM

Hurt to watch. Praying for a speedy recovery.

9. nsauser - Jul 24, 2013 at 11:21 PM

Yea this really sucks. I hope it’s not career ending but won’t be surprised if it is. 204 wins and 111 losses is a pretty good run in the majors

10. evanwins - Jul 24, 2013 at 11:21 PM

Stuff like this happens and I wish Hudson the best…. Just like I did to Placido Polanco when he was hitting .387 and Hudson hit him in the elbow and ruined the rest of his season….And just like I did to Carlos Ruiz when Hudson hit him with a pitch in an early October game when Ruiz was on fire and about to enter the postseason (and so were the Braves). Shame. His career is probably over.

11. scdocal - Jul 24, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Mets fans are bitches. Name any other ball club that would like to see Harvey not pitch against their team. Eric young deserves a lot of props. Get well huddy.

12. jaysfan64 - Jul 24, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Horrible thing to see…at 38 he just might be finished…remember this guy had TJ a few years ago so he’s already had to fight thru a rehab…hope he recovers as quickly as possible…he’s one of the good guys in MLB…

13. spezzabangsmilfs - Jul 25, 2013 at 12:17 AM

Call the White Sox

14. jputignano - Jul 25, 2013 at 12:55 AM

In Garza’s debut; Rangers top the Yankees 3-1 http://wp.me/p2mgR4-2d

15. mdpickles - Jul 25, 2013 at 9:29 AM

The Phillies coaches were in the clubhouse looking at the replay during their game last night and they all looked very concerned. Every ballclub respects the hell out of that guy and nobody wants to see a tough competitor like Hudson go down like that. I wish him the best.

16. Walk - Jul 25, 2013 at 10:25 AM

I worked swing shift last night and I was busy with all the storms we had. I would normally listen to the game at work or on patrol but there was just no way to do so last night with any regularity. Well sports south I knew replayed the game so I intentionally avoided the scores so I could watch the game. Now I know why everyone was whispering around me last night. I was shocked and sad, maybe the braves can win a few for huddy.

17. schmedley69 - Jul 25, 2013 at 10:53 AM

When are the Braves going to wake up and realize that they aren’t even good enough to run away with the weakest division in baseball and aren’t going anywhere if they do make the playoffs? They should be sellers.

• skids003 - Jul 25, 2013 at 12:25 PM

They are in first by 7 games. What kind of idiot GM sells when he’s in 1st place?

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 25, 2013 at 1:41 PM