Jul 24, 2013, 12:16 PM EDT
Cespedes is batting fifth and playing left field after sitting out five straight games. Chris Young, who filled in for him in left field, is back on the bench with his .192 batting average.
Cespedes, who was the only Home Run Derby participant not chosen for the All-Star team, hit just .227 with 15 homers and a .718 OPS in 80 first-half games, which represents a 143-point drop in OPS compared to his rookie season.
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 60
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 41
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 2
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 142
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 10
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (142)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)