A-Rod: “The Yankees and I crossed signals”

Jul 25, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT

Alex Rodriguez AP

A-Rod has released as statement:

“I think the Yankees and I crossed signals. I don’t want any more mixups. I’m excited and ready to play and help this team win a championship I feel great and I’m ready and want to be in the lineup Fri night. Enough doctors, let’s play”

The first part: cool. The second part: A-Rod still signaling his health status outside the structure of the team, which is what caused Brian Cashman to tell him to STFU a couple weeks ago and what got everyone so mad yesterday.

So I guess what I’m saying is “wheeeeeeeeee!”

1. bgrillz - Jul 25, 2013 at 1:33 PM

I am gonna miss this guy when he is gone. He is such a circus…

• RickyB - Jul 25, 2013 at 1:41 PM

“Are you afraid of clowns?”

“Y-Y-Yeah …”

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 25, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Can’t sleep, clown will eat me

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 25, 2013 at 1:59 PM

“Beep Beep Richie”?

• Old Gator - Jul 25, 2013 at 2:39 PM

“Yeah, a bad clown can really fuck you up.”

….waitress at the diner in Shakes the Clown.

• psousa1 - Jul 25, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Crazy Joe DeVola……………..

• Glenn - Jul 25, 2013 at 11:13 PM

There’s nothing scarier than a clown after midnight.

– Lon Chaney Sr

2. dondada10 - Jul 25, 2013 at 1:37 PM

“I feel great and I’m ready and want to be in the lineup Fri night.”

This part is going to piss Cashman off.

Again.

Doom.

• fanofevilempire - Jul 25, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Funny how Alex, Bernie and Jorge are the only guys Cash hands
      out the bad cop attitude at, never a guy like Pavano, Randy Johnson
      or Burnette.

3. anthonyverna - Jul 25, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Just keep digging that hole. I’m watching with a box of popcorn.

• gerryb323 - Jul 25, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Cameron? Is that you?

4. heyblueyoustink - Jul 25, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Somewhere, someone is reading this to Bud while he’s on the Iron throne, and simply has this to say:

” Oh, really now ?

With a smug smile on his face.

5. bobwsc - Jul 25, 2013 at 1:49 PM

that sounds Canseco’ish.

6. jayscarpa - Jul 25, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Hmm. It’s like he’s daring Cashman to respond.

7. Francisco (FC) - Jul 25, 2013 at 1:50 PM

A-Rod: “The Yankees and I crossed signals”

As long as they don’t cross the streams it’ll be ok.

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 25, 2013 at 2:02 PM

” Ray, when someone asks you if you’re a god, you say YES! “

• historiophiliac - Jul 25, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Ghostbusters?

• number42is1 - Jul 25, 2013 at 2:19 PM

why did you put a “?” after ghostbusters?

• historiophiliac - Jul 25, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Because I was asking if that was right,

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 25, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Thumbs up to you! Damn the naysayers!

8. turdfurgerson68 - Jul 25, 2013 at 2:02 PM

“The Yankees and I crossed signals” = Cashman is a liar.

Sorry Yankee fans, what i meant to say was that the Steinbrenner brothers are making Cashman lie being the puppet he is.

9. pisano - Jul 25, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Arod’s back….let the strikeouts begin!!!

10. Old Gator - Jul 25, 2013 at 2:40 PM

I love watching Cashman squirm. It’s like threading a nightcrawler on a fishhook.

• historiophiliac - Jul 25, 2013 at 3:43 PM

This one’s kinda more like the sausage race.

• kevinbnyc - Jul 25, 2013 at 5:11 PM

They crossed signals, not swords.

11. chip56 - Jul 25, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Said it before and I’ll say it again – at this point if you’re Alex you have absolutely nothing to lose by pissing off the Yankees. They’ve made it clear they don’t want you, they’ve made it clear that anything you say will be twisted by their people in the press to cast you in the worst light possible so what’s the difference. Just go out there, keep telling people that you’re ready to play and that the team that had always put winning first is now holding you back because they’re putting money first. You may not improve yourself in the public eye but you can at least take the team’s front office down with you.

I’m not suggesting Alex has handled his business properly; but the Yankees, an organization that was all about class and dignity under its previous ownership has now become about petty crap. The old “Bronx Zoo” was about the Boss’s insistence on nothing but winning. The current Bronx Zoo is money first. Winning if we get around to it.

• Old Gator - Jul 25, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Hard to distinguish the behavior of the Borg front orifice from the Beanbag front orifice. Maybe they’ve worked up a mind link, like in Pacific Rim.

• fanofevilempire - Jul 25, 2013 at 3:27 PM

you said it all.

• anxovies - Jul 25, 2013 at 10:09 PM

I guess you don’t remember the Billy Martin circus or George hiring a private detective to follow Winfield around.

• chip56 - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:22 AM

Actually I don’t – I was in diapers when those things took place. But part of the Billy Martin circus (as I understand it) was that George kept firing him because the team wasn’t winning – as for Winfield, George was again upset that the big time player he brought in didn’t carry the team down the stretch (hence the Mr. May comments). So in those cases the circus was caused by losing – not by trying to save money.

12. tomtravis76 - Jul 25, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Hope he does come back, so the fans at home and on the road can boo him on everything he does. I know he will be making tons of money, but it will be great to see all the highlights of him being singled out each and every night with showers of boos and taunts.

13. ruhavingfun2day - Jul 25, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Arod should join the NY Jet organization. it all seems to fit.

14. aceshigh11 - Jul 25, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Wow.

This is REALLY messed up. The Bronx Zoo is BACK, baby.

15. km9000 - Jul 25, 2013 at 4:16 PM

After hearing about “crossed signals,” Posada strolled out to the mound just out of habit.

16. psousa1 - Jul 25, 2013 at 4:41 PM

So what is taking so long? Braun gets whacked. What about all these other so called players. Why aren’t they getting suspended yet? Are they all in negotiations? So the longer this goes on the longer there are ineligible players playing.

Mind you I don’t get all pious and shout “Throw them all out for life!” They didn’t commit a crime against humanity or anything but it is getting tiring. I don’t think any of the players, including the dink A-Rod, should get a lifetime ban. A harsh kick in the ass suspension – yes. Automatically have contracts voided – Yes. You know Cashman is hoping he can get it voided.

17. missingdiz - Jul 25, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Evidently, Cashman doesn’t want him back. I can see his point. Who needs that circus (sorry–clowns again, cue up Judy Collins) if A-Rod is going to be suspended soon? But now A-Rod is making sure there’s a circus anyway.

18. huskydoggie - Jul 25, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Not fair! NY gets A-Rod and Weiner…

• nbjays - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:48 PM

That’s better than Dickey, Wang and Johnson.

19. manhandler1 - Jul 25, 2013 at 9:08 PM

This idiot is so enamored with himself. Didn’t realize just how much of a fantasy this jerk lives in. We can all hope he never plays again.

• anxovies - Jul 25, 2013 at 10:12 PM

If I had 2 or 3 hundred million dollars I would live a fantasy life too. I wonder who painted the centaur portrait?

20. itsabergthing - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Better than crossing streams…

21. florida727 - Jul 26, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Opposite of what the Chicago Bulls did to Derrick Rose. They called him out saying he was cleared by doctors even though he said he wasn’t ready to play. Here, A-Rod is calling out the team, saying he’s ready to play, so why aren’t you playing me?

I say good for him. Not a fan or a hater of the team or the player. If the guy’s ready, play him. If not, don’t. Right now, your 3B play sucks. Why the delay? Afraid of a little suspension coming down the pipe?

Cashman, to me anyway, is coming across like a whiny little girl. Regardless, they’re stuck with him AND his contract. All guaranteed :) How’s that working out for you, Cash? This guy reminds me of Jerry Krause in Chicago. Thought HE was the reason for their success, not the players. What a fool.

All the trade deadline news to know