Jul 25, 2013, 9:13 AM EDT
Reader Kevin L. passes this along from the Washington Post. It’s a story about some rundown apartments in Prince Georges County, Maryland. It leads with a resident complaining about the poor conditions in which she lives:
“We are in America. We have rights,” said Silva, as she pointed to leaky faucets, broken pipes, rusting bathtubs and a window that had fallen on a resident who was taking a shower.
The complexes, which contain about 1,000 apartments, were sold last spring and turned over to a new management company, Newport Property Ventures, owned by New York Yankees star Alex Rodriguez.
Residents, who have filed hundreds of complaints with the county alleging serious problems with rodent infestations, mold, crumbling floors and ceilings, say the firm has not responded.
This isn’t the first time A-Rod’s apartment management company has been accused of this sort of thing. Back in 2007 Selena Roberts wrote a hatchet job on Rodriguez which included complaints from some residents in one of A-Rod’s company’s properties in Florida. In both cases the story is based mostly on quotes of a few residents and either no comment or “no comments” from the management company people. Maybe A-Rod’s company are crappy slum lords. Maybe they’re not. We’re not given enough information to make an informed judgment on that.
But I do feel like the chances of this finding its way into A-Rod Biogenesis stories are approximately 846%.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 9
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 46
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)