Jul 25, 2013, 9:13 AM EDT
Reader Kevin L. passes this along from the Washington Post. It’s a story about some rundown apartments in Prince Georges County, Maryland. It leads with a resident complaining about the poor conditions in which she lives:
“We are in America. We have rights,” said Silva, as she pointed to leaky faucets, broken pipes, rusting bathtubs and a window that had fallen on a resident who was taking a shower.
The complexes, which contain about 1,000 apartments, were sold last spring and turned over to a new management company, Newport Property Ventures, owned by New York Yankees star Alex Rodriguez.
Residents, who have filed hundreds of complaints with the county alleging serious problems with rodent infestations, mold, crumbling floors and ceilings, say the firm has not responded.
This isn’t the first time A-Rod’s apartment management company has been accused of this sort of thing. Back in 2007 Selena Roberts wrote a hatchet job on Rodriguez which included complaints from some residents in one of A-Rod’s company’s properties in Florida. In both cases the story is based mostly on quotes of a few residents and either no comment or “no comments” from the management company people. Maybe A-Rod’s company are crappy slum lords. Maybe they’re not. We’re not given enough information to make an informed judgment on that.
But I do feel like the chances of this finding its way into A-Rod Biogenesis stories are approximately 846%.
- Greetings from All-Star week in Minneapolis 6
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 39
- Joey Gallo earns Futures Game MVP honors after leading Team USA to victory 6
- Major League Baseball needs to shift the All-Star week schedule 49
- Braves suspend Dan Uggla one game for being extremely tardy on Saturday in Chicago 39
- Cliff Lee on track to return to Phillies’ rotation July 21 5
- MRI shows biceps strain, no structural damage, for Nationals starter Jordan Zimmermann 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 22
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (192)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)
- Woman knocked unconscious during fight between A’s and Giants fans outside AT&T Park (84)