Jul 25, 2013, 9:13 AM EST
Reader Kevin L. passes this along from the Washington Post. It’s a story about some rundown apartments in Prince Georges County, Maryland. It leads with a resident complaining about the poor conditions in which she lives:
“We are in America. We have rights,” said Silva, as she pointed to leaky faucets, broken pipes, rusting bathtubs and a window that had fallen on a resident who was taking a shower.
The complexes, which contain about 1,000 apartments, were sold last spring and turned over to a new management company, Newport Property Ventures, owned by New York Yankees star Alex Rodriguez.
Residents, who have filed hundreds of complaints with the county alleging serious problems with rodent infestations, mold, crumbling floors and ceilings, say the firm has not responded.
This isn’t the first time A-Rod’s apartment management company has been accused of this sort of thing. Back in 2007 Selena Roberts wrote a hatchet job on Rodriguez which included complaints from some residents in one of A-Rod’s company’s properties in Florida. In both cases the story is based mostly on quotes of a few residents and either no comment or “no comments” from the management company people. Maybe A-Rod’s company are crappy slum lords. Maybe they’re not. We’re not given enough information to make an informed judgment on that.
But I do feel like the chances of this finding its way into A-Rod Biogenesis stories are approximately 846%.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 43
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 84
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 36
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (94)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)