Add “slum lord” to your latest Alex Rodriguez talking points

Jul 25, 2013, 9:13 AM EDT

a-rod getty Getty Images

Reader Kevin L. passes this along from the Washington Post. It’s a story about some rundown apartments in Prince Georges County, Maryland. It leads with a resident complaining about the poor conditions in which she lives:

“We are in America. We have rights,” said Silva, as she pointed to leaky faucets, broken pipes, rusting bathtubs and a window that had fallen on a resident who was taking a shower.

The complexes, which contain about 1,000 apartments, were sold last spring and turned over to a new management company, Newport Property Ventures, owned by New York Yankees star Alex Rodriguez.

Residents, who have filed hundreds of complaints with the county alleging serious problems with rodent infestations, mold, crumbling floors and ceilings, say the firm has not responded.

This isn’t the first time A-Rod’s apartment management company has been accused of this sort of thing. Back in 2007 Selena Roberts wrote a hatchet job on Rodriguez which included complaints from some residents in one of A-Rod’s company’s properties in Florida. In both cases the story is based mostly on quotes of a few residents and either no comment or “no comments” from the management company people. Maybe A-Rod’s company are crappy slum lords. Maybe they’re not. We’re not given enough information to make an informed judgment on that.

But I do feel like the chances of this finding its way into A-Rod Biogenesis stories are approximately 846%.

1. pisano - Jul 25, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Simple solution: MOVE, problem solved.

• fanofevilempire - Jul 25, 2013 at 9:51 AM

I just got off the phone with Alex and he said he will stop off and make the repairs
      when he is called up by the Yankees, he said it shouldn’t take too long.

• untamedride - Jul 25, 2013 at 10:01 AM

as great as that sounds, it can be pretty darn hard to break a lease. even with a slum lord

• tromoo - Jul 25, 2013 at 10:37 AM

it is almost impossible for a landlord to get a renter out from a rent control unit. if a rent controlled renter wants to leave the lease early, i would break the least any day of the year for that person.

please remember, you pay for what you get.

• hockeyflow33 - Jul 25, 2013 at 11:45 AM

It’s quite easy when there are blatant issues that will not be fixed. You can actually withhold rent until they’re fixed

• offseasonblues - Jul 25, 2013 at 10:33 AM

If it were easy for the residents to move, the repairs would have been made.

• 18thstreet - Jul 25, 2013 at 10:48 AM

We have laws in this country. G-d forbid some of them ask wealthy landowners to do something as opposed to just blaming their tenants.

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 25, 2013 at 11:22 AM

For those who didn’t get the reference:

Brilliant, Pisano. An A-Bomb by ARod indeed.

• pisano - Jul 25, 2013 at 2:26 PM

heyblueyoustink…. I’d like to take credit for the reference, but in all sincerity I have to admit I was unaware of MOVE, my point was much simpler, if someone doesn’t like the way things are going, just leave. I was a union man and I was always locking horns with my boss, and at the end of every argument we had he would always say: ” if you don’t like the ways things are around here, quit ” so that’s where my thinking on the Arod slum lord came from. “if you don’t like it, leave “.

• soxpower - Jul 25, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Wtf is wrong with you. IF these people could afford to move i don’t think they’d be living in a slum. A-Fraud once again proves to us what a royal douche he is. Let’s say that these people do move and they move into your neighborhood, I bet ur the kinda person who would be like oh the neighborhood is turning to shit. I’m sorry that there are more people living in slums than there are in mansions.

• statslady - Jul 25, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Really? Why do you think it’s that simple? Have you forgotten that people live where the do for a large number of reasons, including places that meet their FINANCIAL needs. AKA. you have to have money to move, let alone to move to better, healthier accommodations.

I don’t know what better describes your response – uninformed or completely lacking compassion.

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 25, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Pisano…my guess is these people live in a “not so good part of the city.”
      I am also guessing they are at poverty level.
      So…while you or I could move I am thinking these people don’t have that option.

On a similar note:
      In the inner city of Indianapolis parents have the option of having their children go to school in another district if their district (or schools) has graded out poorly.
      So…the taxpayers pay for these kids to be bused all over the city.
      It would be easy to just say…”move to a better district.” But when you are most likely a single parent, living below poverty with both feet in the free cheese line…moving isn’t an option.

2. sdelmonte - Jul 25, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Maybe we need an A-Rod Talk blog just to keep up with all the A-Rod stuff.

Or it could be a show like The Talking Dead that reviews all the A-Rod news for the day. Bonus points if a zombie eats A-Rod.

• yahmule - Jul 25, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Zombies who eat A-Rod shamble 30% faster due to residual performance enhancers.

• sdelmonte - Jul 25, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Don’t give Kirkman any more ideas!!!

3. proudlycanadian - Jul 25, 2013 at 9:22 AM

This guy is evil through and through. Hanging is too good for him. As punishment, he should be forced to eat pie for every meal for the rest of his life.

• aceshigh11 - Jul 25, 2013 at 9:30 AM

May not be the worst punishment on Earth…

• proudlycanadian - Jul 25, 2013 at 9:51 AM

I accidentally omitted the type of pie. It should be humble pie.

• tfbuckfutter - Jul 25, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Nah. Doodoo pie.

Definitely doodoo pie.

• statslady - Jul 25, 2013 at 1:39 PM

I hope “pie” is a reference to the movie “The Help”, in which a particular chocolate pie wasn’t made of chocolate.

• gibbyfan - Jul 25, 2013 at 9:33 AM

wasnt there a movie a few years back about a judge who sentenced a slum lord to live in his own bldg………..

• tfbuckfutter - Jul 25, 2013 at 9:50 AM

The Super starring Joe Pesci and I want to say Doug E. Fresh (even if he wasn’t in it I still wanted to say it).

Came out in 1990 iirc.

• gibbyfan - Jul 25, 2013 at 12:15 PM

thnx TBUCK —-that was it -If he’s guilty -Would love to see AROD get the same

• Old Gator - Jul 25, 2013 at 9:41 AM

I made a batch of over-the-moon desert lemon poppyseed muffins yesterday. Alex can’t have any because he’s a slumlord.

4. jayscarpa - Jul 25, 2013 at 9:23 AM

This was reported in 2011 by TMZ

Or maybe it’s another property.

5. dondada10 - Jul 25, 2013 at 9:23 AM

Slum lord apologist.

Craig Calcayoushouldliveinaslumeterra.

6. aceshigh11 - Jul 25, 2013 at 9:31 AM

And WHERE WAS A-Rod on 9/11? Hmm??

Too soon?

7. Old Gator - Jul 25, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Ryan Braun.

Just throwin’ this one out there…..

• bravojawja - Jul 25, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Braun would be a shtetl-lord.

• paperlions - Jul 25, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Plus Ryan Braun’s ancestors killed Jesus, so ARod has some work to do.

8. phillyphannn83 - Jul 25, 2013 at 9:47 AM

This is the problem when stars and athletes are considered to be too perfect…the higher you put them on a pedestal, the farther they fall. Just a few examples…Brett Favre, he was call the All-American boy back I the 90s and early 2000s by the media. They anointed him to embody the perfect american man. Reports of infidelity and multiple scandals later, have you heard anything of the sort recently? Nope. Tim Tebow, while there hasn’t been any scandals he’s been involved in, his perfect image propped him up to be better than he was. Because people thought he was a perfect person,they thought he was a perfect QB, which we all know couldn’t be further from the truth. His bible thumping and virginity claims(which IMO is laughable) became too much for people to constantly take and he became almost villianized. And now A-Rod. He’s been jammed down our throats for so long as being the best player I the world, a great all-around guy, he had no way to go but down. We as fans and the media get too high on our highs and to low on our lows. People need to be a little more even-keeled and turn it down a notch when it comes to evaluating people and things in this world.

• fanofevilempire - Jul 25, 2013 at 10:01 AM

I’m so glad that my hero was never a athlete or actor etc., my mom was my hero, she cooked, cleaned and worked in Manhattan 40 hours a week and gave me and my brother a better life
      then she had and when she died my hero died. I feel sorry for people who look outside of their home for a hero, I tell the new generation of kids in my family to always listen to your parents
      and follow what they ask, they will never let you down.

• hockeyflow33 - Jul 25, 2013 at 11:46 AM

What if your parent is Arod?

• fanofevilempire - Jul 25, 2013 at 3:31 PM

hockey, I think A-Rods 2 daughters don’t give a shite about this Roids stuff.
        what can you do, you can’t pick your family.

• fanofevilempire - Jul 25, 2013 at 10:01 AM

and follow what they ask, they will never let you down.

• tfbuckfutter - Jul 25, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Look everybody, it’s Don Henley.

• gerryb323 - Jul 25, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Plus, A-Rod let Cameron Diaz feed him popcorn. POPCORN!

I hate him.

9. jputignano - Jul 25, 2013 at 10:07 AM

My latest Inside Pitch: In Garza’s debut; Rangers top the Yankees 3-1 http://wp.me/p2mgR4-2d

10. Jonny 5 - Jul 25, 2013 at 10:09 AM

So, let me think a minute……

Wasn’t last spring about a month and a half to two months ago? Did these people think that because A-rod owns a management company that he was going to change their lives around for them instantly? This is why most of these people are in a slum to begin with. They expect certain things that they wait and wait for but unless you go out and do it yourself, it never comes. How about this. If you have mold, clean it. If your floors or ceilings are crumbling, fix it or move. It’s really as simple as that. A-rod is not a mythical creature with a magic wand (centaur maybe) that’ll fix your building for nothing. If he does fix it, prepare to have an increase in rent (the next hateful article will come soon after how he’s heartless and a scoundrel).

• gerryb323 - Jul 25, 2013 at 10:16 AM

You know, most landlords are required, by law, to provide normal repairs (fixing floors, etc.) and to clean things that are caused by conditions of the property (like mold).

Tennants can repair after requesting the defects be repaired, but there are procedures to follow to insure reimbursement. Otherwise, tennant could be on the hook for the repairs. Plus, if the tennants in this case had the money to just “fix the floor”, they probably wouldn’t live there to begin with…

• tromoo - Jul 25, 2013 at 10:44 AM

you make some great points.

however the flip side is that tenants can just move if they don’t like where they live.

tenants, especially in rent controlled areas enjoy the cheap rent. they want the landlord to subsidize their living, while hiding behind government laws.

you pay for what you get. don’t expect to pay for a honda civic and get a bmw.

• gerryb323 - Jul 25, 2013 at 10:51 AM

tromoo, that’s true as long as you don’t have a long-term lease (or if you can get out of it). Again, “just fix it” or “just move” may sound easy to many of us, but if you don’t have $1000 for first and last month rent or the means to move, it’s a little more complex.

I agree, if you’re living in New York city for $800 a month, you shouldn’t complain about some things, but it seems like there are some major structural/safety issues in some of these places.

• spezzabangsmilfs - Jul 25, 2013 at 11:20 AM

tromoo…..just stop, you’re child-like understanding of the law is bringing me down.

• tromoo - Jul 25, 2013 at 11:49 AM

gerryb323 – i agree with some of your points as stated earlier. and yes, some things do need to be repaired.

the flip side is, i have never had mold in any place that i live, because i treat the place where i live with care. typically, tenants don’t care about the place they live and treat the place roughly because they are only renting it.

everything is negotiable in life. most leases are for one year. do not blame the land lord for not having the money for the first month of rent and deposit to rent else where.

would you really put yourself or family in a building that had structural issues?

btw – AROD, is a rare landlord who has the monies to fix many things. you may not know this, most landlords own 4-7 units, and barely make ends meet.

spezzabangsmilfs – YOU ARE IGNORANT!!!!!! why don’t you pay and subsidize unrealized rents for landlords, so that they have more money to fix things. STFU! you bring yourself down. next time, leave your childlike comments to yourself, and debate respectfully.

• Jonny 5 - Jul 25, 2013 at 11:46 AM

But that wasn’t my point really. My point is A-rod has only owned the property for a couple of months yet the complex is supposed to be renovated by now, which is not reasonable. If so the tenants will then have higher rent to pay and A-rod will likely be known as a scoundrel for this as well. If you don’t like your living conditions, and have good reason you can break a lease and move on.

• statslady - Jul 25, 2013 at 1:43 PM

So speaks the 1%.

Reality is so far from their world.

11. thezonereadblog - Jul 25, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Reblogged this on Raiderzone Weekly.

12. kelshannon19 - Jul 25, 2013 at 11:53 AM

At least he’s making more than the entire 2013 Houston Astros.

13. connormyboy - Jul 25, 2013 at 12:23 PM

He’s being accused of the same thing in Tampa also.

14. gamechanger - Jul 25, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Reblogged this on The Quarterback and commented:
    Well the hits just keep on coming for Alex Rodriguez. Slum lord is not a good look for him but it just might be a better look than kissing himself in the mirror or a gigantic painting of him as a Minotaur.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2891)