Jul 25, 2013, 6:26 PM EDT
It’s hard to imagine that Alex Rodriguez thought this would turn out well.
The beleaguered Rodriguez decided to call into Mike Francesa on WFAN late this afternoon and tell the world that he’s ready to play and that the Yankees are holding him back.
The move comes after Rodriguez took part in a conference call with Yankees management on Thursday afternoon. According to the New York Times, both Rodriguez and the Yankees agreed to a plan that would have A-Rod play in a simulated or minor league game on Aug. 1 and come off the DL a day or two later.
Rodriguez’s counter comes after a report earlier in the day that he was facing discipline from the Yankees for getting an unauthorized second opinion on his quad injury. These latest public comments are sure to further inflame a relationship with the Yankees that’s already deteoriated to a point beyond which it may never recover. Obviously, the only thing still keeping the two parties together is the $100 million the Yankees owe Rodriguez. One wonders just how much of that they’d now be willing to eat just to get rid of him once and for all.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 11
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 16
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)