Jul 25, 2013, 11:32 AM EDT
Not necessarily. Brandon Beachy is done with his rehab assignment and is coming back, so he’ll fill a slot. Alex Wood, who made an emergency start in a double header earlier this season, will fill in for a while until Maholm is back. Wood has been solid in relief in the bigs so far this year and has a 1.31 ERA in 11 minor league starts this year. With a nice cushion in what is turning out to be a weak NL East, it’s worth it for the Braves to see what each of those guys have before running out and getting a starter.
Best case scenario: both Wood and Beachy are solid starters down the stretch and Atlanta has six starters for five slots once Maholm returns. Next best: one of them is good and the Braves still have a full rotation. Next best after that: only one of the three between Maholm, Wood and Beachy can cut it and, while it makes for a less-than-ideal couple of months, the playoff rotation is good to go. For them to really be in trouble requires all three of them to either stink, be unhealthy or all three.
Obviously you’d rather have Tim Hudson around, and given the Braves’ historic caution as an organization it wouldn’t surprise me if they went out and at least tried to get a starter. But I don’t think it’s absolutely imperative.
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 43
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 33
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (103)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)