Jul 25, 2013, 11:32 AM EDT
Not necessarily. Brandon Beachy is done with his rehab assignment and is coming back, so he’ll fill a slot. Alex Wood, who made an emergency start in a double header earlier this season, will fill in for a while until Maholm is back. Wood has been solid in relief in the bigs so far this year and has a 1.31 ERA in 11 minor league starts this year. With a nice cushion in what is turning out to be a weak NL East, it’s worth it for the Braves to see what each of those guys have before running out and getting a starter.
Best case scenario: both Wood and Beachy are solid starters down the stretch and Atlanta has six starters for five slots once Maholm returns. Next best: one of them is good and the Braves still have a full rotation. Next best after that: only one of the three between Maholm, Wood and Beachy can cut it and, while it makes for a less-than-ideal couple of months, the playoff rotation is good to go. For them to really be in trouble requires all three of them to either stink, be unhealthy or all three.
Obviously you’d rather have Tim Hudson around, and given the Braves’ historic caution as an organization it wouldn’t surprise me if they went out and at least tried to get a starter. But I don’t think it’s absolutely imperative.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 100
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)