Jul 25, 2013, 11:32 AM EDT
Not necessarily. Brandon Beachy is done with his rehab assignment and is coming back, so he’ll fill a slot. Alex Wood, who made an emergency start in a double header earlier this season, will fill in for a while until Maholm is back. Wood has been solid in relief in the bigs so far this year and has a 1.31 ERA in 11 minor league starts this year. With a nice cushion in what is turning out to be a weak NL East, it’s worth it for the Braves to see what each of those guys have before running out and getting a starter.
Best case scenario: both Wood and Beachy are solid starters down the stretch and Atlanta has six starters for five slots once Maholm returns. Next best: one of them is good and the Braves still have a full rotation. Next best after that: only one of the three between Maholm, Wood and Beachy can cut it and, while it makes for a less-than-ideal couple of months, the playoff rotation is good to go. For them to really be in trouble requires all three of them to either stink, be unhealthy or all three.
Obviously you’d rather have Tim Hudson around, and given the Braves’ historic caution as an organization it wouldn’t surprise me if they went out and at least tried to get a starter. But I don’t think it’s absolutely imperative.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 0
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 8
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 30
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)