Jul 25, 2013, 8:53 AM EDT
Chase Utley is having a nice season. But (a) he’s 34; (b) his best baseball is certainly behind him, not in front of him; (c) his knees are ticking time bombs; and (d) the Phillies aren’t going anyplace and likely have to rebuild before they’re serious contenders again.
In light of all of that, you have to think that the best move is to try to trade Utley. He could really help a contender this year and, given what Matt Garza and even Francisco Rodriguez brought in trades, the Phillies could probably get a useful piece or two for him.
Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com, however, thinks that the Phillies are working on a contract extension for Utley:
A person with knowledge of the situation says the Phillies have had recent talks with Utley’s representation about a contract extension … Word in well-placed baseball circles is that the Phillies are not listening to trade offers for Utley.
Maybe this is just about making him seem more valuable to Philly than he is in an effort to drive up the price. Maybe Ruben Amaro believes that the Phillies still can contend with an Utley-Howard-Rollins-Lee-Hamels core. If it’s the latter, well, OK, it’s your team Rube. But I kinda disagree with that assessment.
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 15
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 14
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 36
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 5
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 21
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)