Jul 25, 2013, 8:53 AM EDT
Chase Utley is having a nice season. But (a) he’s 34; (b) his best baseball is certainly behind him, not in front of him; (c) his knees are ticking time bombs; and (d) the Phillies aren’t going anyplace and likely have to rebuild before they’re serious contenders again.
In light of all of that, you have to think that the best move is to try to trade Utley. He could really help a contender this year and, given what Matt Garza and even Francisco Rodriguez brought in trades, the Phillies could probably get a useful piece or two for him.
Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com, however, thinks that the Phillies are working on a contract extension for Utley:
A person with knowledge of the situation says the Phillies have had recent talks with Utley’s representation about a contract extension … Word in well-placed baseball circles is that the Phillies are not listening to trade offers for Utley.
Maybe this is just about making him seem more valuable to Philly than he is in an effort to drive up the price. Maybe Ruben Amaro believes that the Phillies still can contend with an Utley-Howard-Rollins-Lee-Hamels core. If it’s the latter, well, OK, it’s your team Rube. But I kinda disagree with that assessment.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 41
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 58
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 79
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 66
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)