Jul 25, 2013, 2:51 PM EST
Brandon Morrow hasn’t pitched since late May because of a forearm injury and now it looks like he’ll miss the remainder of the season.
Gregor Chisholm of MLB.com reports that Dr. James Andrews examined Morrow and diagnosed him with an entrapped radial nerve in his forearm, which comes with a recovery timetable of at least six weeks.
That means even in the best-case scenario Morrow could start throwing again in early September, at which point he’d have to build up arm strength in a hurry to make some late-season appearances for the Blue Jays.
If his season is indeed over Morrow finishes with a 5.63 ERA in 54 innings, failing to build on a very impressive (and injury shortened) 2012 season in which he threw 124 innings with a 2.96 ERA and 108 strikeouts.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)