Jul 25, 2013, 2:27 PM EST
Well, that didn’t last very long:
George Brett will step down as @Royals interim hitting coach and return to previous position as VP of Baseball Operations.
— MLB (@MLB) July 25, 2013
Brett was named hitting coach on May 30th. At the time they were 6.5 games behind the Tigers and their offense was struggling. Today they are 8.5 games behind the Tigers and their offense is struggling. There are limits to what hitting coaches can do.
You have to figure that this was a lifestyle choice for Brett. He’s the single biggest name in the history of that organization and it’d be hard to feature the Royals firing him, even in a kick-him-back-upstairs situation. One of the reasons he hadn’t coached or managed before was because he didn’t want the travel and grind. I’m guessing he’s tired of the travel and grind.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)