Jul 25, 2013, 2:27 PM EDT
Well, that didn’t last very long:
George Brett will step down as @Royals interim hitting coach and return to previous position as VP of Baseball Operations.
— MLB (@MLB) July 25, 2013
Brett was named hitting coach on May 30th. At the time they were 6.5 games behind the Tigers and their offense was struggling. Today they are 8.5 games behind the Tigers and their offense is struggling. There are limits to what hitting coaches can do.
You have to figure that this was a lifestyle choice for Brett. He’s the single biggest name in the history of that organization and it’d be hard to feature the Royals firing him, even in a kick-him-back-upstairs situation. One of the reasons he hadn’t coached or managed before was because he didn’t want the travel and grind. I’m guessing he’s tired of the travel and grind.
- 2014 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 34
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12