Jul 25, 2013, 12:38 AM EST
Via Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram:
The Rangers, facing the possibility that right-fielder Nelson Cruz could be suspended and without much production from their other outfielders, have set their sights on Chicago White Sox outfielder Alex Rios, San Francisco right fielder Hunter Pence and Seattle designated hitter Kendrys Morales to fill a need for a right-handed hitter, according to baseball sources.
The Pale Hose (39-58) are sure to be sellers at this year’s July 31 non-waiver trade deadline. There’s a little less certainty at this point about the Giants (46-54) and the suddenly-surging Mariners (48-53).
Cruz, as Wilson notes, is connected to the Biogenesis case and could be handed a big suspension soon.
The Rangers beefed up their starting rotation on Monday with Matt Garza. Now it’s time to find a hitter who can attempt to replace Cruz’s production or provide a boost in left and center field if Cruz is around all year.
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 11
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 8
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 138
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 372
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (372)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (138)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (90)