Jul 25, 2013, 12:38 AM EST
Via Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram:
The Rangers, facing the possibility that right-fielder Nelson Cruz could be suspended and without much production from their other outfielders, have set their sights on Chicago White Sox outfielder Alex Rios, San Francisco right fielder Hunter Pence and Seattle designated hitter Kendrys Morales to fill a need for a right-handed hitter, according to baseball sources.
The Pale Hose (39-58) are sure to be sellers at this year’s July 31 non-waiver trade deadline. There’s a little less certainty at this point about the Giants (46-54) and the suddenly-surging Mariners (48-53).
Cruz, as Wilson notes, is connected to the Biogenesis case and could be handed a big suspension soon.
The Rangers beefed up their starting rotation on Monday with Matt Garza. Now it’s time to find a hitter who can attempt to replace Cruz’s production or provide a boost in left and center field if Cruz is around all year.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 82
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 46
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 31
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)