Jul 25, 2013, 12:38 AM EDT
Via Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram:
The Rangers, facing the possibility that right-fielder Nelson Cruz could be suspended and without much production from their other outfielders, have set their sights on Chicago White Sox outfielder Alex Rios, San Francisco right fielder Hunter Pence and Seattle designated hitter Kendrys Morales to fill a need for a right-handed hitter, according to baseball sources.
The Pale Hose (39-58) are sure to be sellers at this year’s July 31 non-waiver trade deadline. There’s a little less certainty at this point about the Giants (46-54) and the suddenly-surging Mariners (48-53).
Cruz, as Wilson notes, is connected to the Biogenesis case and could be handed a big suspension soon.
The Rangers beefed up their starting rotation on Monday with Matt Garza. Now it’s time to find a hitter who can attempt to replace Cruz’s production or provide a boost in left and center field if Cruz is around all year.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 43
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 43
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 141
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (143)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)