Jul 25, 2013, 12:46 PM EDT
Apparently team doctors advised Mejia to have surgery to remove bone spurs from his elbow back when he was having discomfort in May, but Mejia told them he’d rather continue pitching and then go under the knife once the season is over.
He’s been limited to just six games in the minors, but does have a 2.55 ERA and 26 strikeouts in 25 innings. And the 23-year-old will make his 2013 big-league debut tomorrow.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 34
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 6
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 30
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 44
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 12
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 73
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)