Jul 25, 2013, 12:46 PM EDT
Apparently team doctors advised Mejia to have surgery to remove bone spurs from his elbow back when he was having discomfort in May, but Mejia told them he’d rather continue pitching and then go under the knife once the season is over.
He’s been limited to just six games in the minors, but does have a 2.55 ERA and 26 strikeouts in 25 innings. And the 23-year-old will make his 2013 big-league debut tomorrow.
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 1
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 18
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 35
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 18
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 79
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 84
- Reds beat Pirates behind Johnny Cueto, hand National League Central title to St. Louis 20
- Video: Steven Souza Jr. makes sensational catch to secure Jordan Zimmermann’s no-no 24
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (79)
- Bud Selig says A-Rod will “have a clean slate” once his suspension is over (78)