Jul 25, 2013, 1:18 PM EDT
Ozuna has been diagnosed with a torn ligament in his left thumb and is slated to undergo season-ending surgery tomorrow.
Ozuna got off to a strong start with the Marlins despite jumping to the majors after just 10 total games above Single-A, but recently slumped his way down to a .265 batting average and .693 OPS in 70 games overall. He showed plenty of promise, but Ozuna’s ugly 57/13 K/BB ratio is about what you’d expect from a 22-year-old who was rushed to the big leagues.
And now he’ll collect a major-league salary and burn through major-league service time while on the DL.
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 3
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 17
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (89)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)