Jul 25, 2013, 1:18 PM EDT
Ozuna has been diagnosed with a torn ligament in his left thumb and is slated to undergo season-ending surgery tomorrow.
Ozuna got off to a strong start with the Marlins despite jumping to the majors after just 10 total games above Single-A, but recently slumped his way down to a .265 batting average and .693 OPS in 70 games overall. He showed plenty of promise, but Ozuna’s ugly 57/13 K/BB ratio is about what you’d expect from a 22-year-old who was rushed to the big leagues.
And now he’ll collect a major-league salary and burn through major-league service time while on the DL.
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 23
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 43
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 48
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 73
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)