Jul 25, 2013, 1:18 PM EDT
Ozuna has been diagnosed with a torn ligament in his left thumb and is slated to undergo season-ending surgery tomorrow.
Ozuna got off to a strong start with the Marlins despite jumping to the majors after just 10 total games above Single-A, but recently slumped his way down to a .265 batting average and .693 OPS in 70 games overall. He showed plenty of promise, but Ozuna’s ugly 57/13 K/BB ratio is about what you’d expect from a 22-year-old who was rushed to the big leagues.
And now he’ll collect a major-league salary and burn through major-league service time while on the DL.
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 14
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 36
- Jon Lester is willing to return to the Red Sox as a free agent even if they trade him 18
- Jose Abreu is third-fastest in MLB history to reach 30 career home runs 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 20
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (200)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)