Jul 25, 2013, 1:18 PM EDT
Ozuna has been diagnosed with a torn ligament in his left thumb and is slated to undergo season-ending surgery tomorrow.
Ozuna got off to a strong start with the Marlins despite jumping to the majors after just 10 total games above Single-A, but recently slumped his way down to a .265 batting average and .693 OPS in 70 games overall. He showed plenty of promise, but Ozuna’s ugly 57/13 K/BB ratio is about what you’d expect from a 22-year-old who was rushed to the big leagues.
And now he’ll collect a major-league salary and burn through major-league service time while on the DL.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 315
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 55
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 39
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 4
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (326)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (159)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)