Jul 25, 2013, 1:18 PM EST
Ozuna has been diagnosed with a torn ligament in his left thumb and is slated to undergo season-ending surgery tomorrow.
Ozuna got off to a strong start with the Marlins despite jumping to the majors after just 10 total games above Single-A, but recently slumped his way down to a .265 batting average and .693 OPS in 70 games overall. He showed plenty of promise, but Ozuna’s ugly 57/13 K/BB ratio is about what you’d expect from a 22-year-old who was rushed to the big leagues.
And now he’ll collect a major-league salary and burn through major-league service time while on the DL.
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 0
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 47
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 35
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 49
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 53
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)