Miguel Cabrera out for third straight game with hip injury

Jul 25, 2013, 11:20 AM EDT

Miguel Cabrera AP

Miguel Cabrera is out of the Tigers’ lineup today for the third straight game with a hip flexor suffered Monday night.

It doesn’t sound like a disabled list situation, because for now at least the Tigers are saying he might be able to rejoin the lineup tomorrow.

Cabrera has been remarkably healthy throughout his career, never playing fewer than 150 games in a full season and playing at least 160 games in four of the past five years. Today will be his fourth missed game of this season, which is already as many or more than he missed in 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2011, and 2012.

1. proudlycanadian - Jul 25, 2013 at 11:26 AM

More doom for my fantasy team.

• Detroit Michael - Jul 25, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Unless you just traded for Cabrera, I don’t think you have a legitimate reason to complain about his contributions to your 2013 fantasy team.

• proudlycanadian - Jul 25, 2013 at 1:39 PM

No complaints until a few days ago. I do have a few complaints about Buchholz, Anderson and Morrow.

2. sportsnut101 - Jul 25, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Ugh I hope he’s ready for yanks vs tigers I have tickets

3. yahmule - Jul 25, 2013 at 11:38 AM

I was cheerfully noting Ryan Bruan’s name on the waiver list in my leagues. Not like nobody knew about this back in February and March. How is that bargain treating you now, suckers?

:~)

• yahmule - Jul 25, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Well, that was supposed to go under Canadian’s post, but I can’t internet.

• proudlycanadian - Jul 25, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Me neither. I am in an AL only league so I do not have to worry about Braun. I did pick first and went with Miggy over Trout. Hope he gets well very quickly.

• yahmule - Jul 25, 2013 at 12:50 PM

For the first time in like 10 years, I have no NL or AL teams this year. Just split league teams this year.

Here’s a two round mock from a redraft league I saw on the NFBC forum. Decent template for the 2014 drafts.

Round 1:
        Pick 1: Miguel Cabrera
        Pick 2: Mike Trout
        Pick 3: Chris Davis
        Pick 4: Paul Goldschmidt
        Pick 5: Carlos Gonzalez
        Pick 6: Joey Votto
        Pick 7: Robinson Cano
        Pick 8: David Wright
        Pick 9: Ryan Braun (suspension already served ;) )
        Pick 10: Andrew McCutchen

Pick 26: Domonic Brown
        Pick 27: Dustin Pedroia
        Pick 28: Jacoby Ellsbury
        Pick 29: Buster Posey
        Pick 30: Starling Marte

4. historiophiliac - Jul 25, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Actually, Gleeman, the hip has apparently been a little off for awhile. It just got to the point where he couldn’t play b/c he tweaked it sore.

I expect he’ll be back as soon as he can. He sat in the dugout last night with his glove on. Dude *wants* to play.

5. xjokerz - Jul 25, 2013 at 11:55 AM

i have him in fantasy as well, which means my team is top 3 in the standings because of him.

also… im a tigers fan…dont want him back until hes healthy… getting that ring this year baby!… Miggy’s 2nd ring. ;)

6. darthicarus - Jul 25, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Well, at least the team will have plenty of fig newtons handed out during the game.

7. philliesblow - Jul 25, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Since 2011 the Tigers are 5 – 0 when Miggy is out of the line up. Don Kelly’s WAR must be astronomical.

• historiophiliac - Jul 25, 2013 at 12:25 PM

/historiophiliac’s head explodes!

• philliesblow - Jul 25, 2013 at 12:51 PM

I knew you’d love that ; – )

I’m hoping Miggy is back in short order. He’s my son’s favorite player and we are going to Sundays game. But more so I hope he waits until he’s completely healed so this doesn’t pop up again.

• historiophiliac - Jul 25, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Trolled by my fellow fans. smh

ha ha Agree all the way around…except that Donnie K BS.

• dink53 - Jul 25, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Donnie Wiffleball beat the Stankees in 2011 playoffs. Lifetime exemption from abuse.

8. andreweac - Jul 25, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Does this impact his grade of grittiness and tWtW? I need an official ruling for that category in my fantasy baseball league that only uses real stats like pitcher wins, saves, tWtW, grittiness, quantity of dirt on uniform, RBIs, CERA and others.

• kevinbnyc - Jul 25, 2013 at 2:55 PM

You left out Leadership?? That’s the most important stat!

9. yahmule - Jul 25, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Anybody got a theory on Verlander? Pounded again today.

Papelbon destined to be traded?
  1. G. Stanton (3518)