Jul 25, 2013, 2:18 AM EDT
Wednesday’s 8-3 loss to the Reds had to be particularly frustrating for Giants fans, considering that…
– Hunter Pence went 5-for-5 and the team as a whole collected 15 hits
– The team left 15 men on base, it’s high total in a nine-inning game since 2008
– Chad Gaudin, the club’s best starter of late, was roughed up for six runs in 3 2/3 innings
Reds starter Mike Leake pitched six innings of one-run ball despite surrendering 12 hits. Every last knock was a single. The Giants’ only extra-base hit came when Pablo Sandoval delivered a two-run double off Logan Ondrusek in the eighth.
Leake became the first pitcher since the Marlins’ Ricky Nolasco in 2011 to allow 12 hits and give up just one run. The last Red to do it was Tom Hume in 1978. The last time a starter did it to the Giants was the Pirates’ Bob Moose in 1972.
At least dating back to 1916 — which is as far as Baseball-reference’s wonderful play index goes — no one had ever had an outing as short as Leake’s and still managed to give up 12 hits and just one run. The next shortest was 6 2/3 innings. Which makes sense: it’s awfully, awfully hard to cram 12 hits into six innings and get just one run.
Pence’s 5-for-5 game was also pretty unusual. It was the first 5-for-5 game to feature no extra-base hits or runs scored since Detroit’s Roger Cedeno pulled it off on Aug. 15, 2001. It was also the first time a player went 5-for-5 for a team that lost by five or more runs since Adam Kennedy did so for Oakland in an 8-1 loss to the White Sox on Aug. 15, 2009.
Aug 4, 2015, 10:21 PM EDT
Reds center fielder Billy Hamilton robbed Jason Heyward of extra bases on Tuesday night in Cincy …
Aug 4, 2015, 9:13 PM EDT
Walker was selected 24th overall back in June and later agreed to a $1.78 million signing bonus — around $314,400 under his recommended slot value.
Aug 4, 2015, 8:08 PM EDT
Jimmy Rollins received a huge ovation Tuesday evening in his first game back in Philly …
Aug 4, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
Turner is having a tremendous season for the National League West-leading Dodgers, boasting a .323/.387/.563 slash line with 13 home runs, 20 doubles, and 44 RBI in 87 games.
Aug 4, 2015, 6:32 PM EDT
Tigers owner Mike Ilitch cut ties with longtime general manager Dave Dombrowski on Tuesday afternoon, but it doesn’t sound like anybody else is on the chopping block yet.
Aug 4, 2015, 5:20 PM EDT
After arriving in 2002, Dombrowski rebuilt an organization that was an utter dumpster fire.
Aug 4, 2015, 5:01 PM EDT
Martin heads back to the minors as a 27-year-old with nearly 1,500 plate appearances as a big leaguer.
Aug 4, 2015, 4:14 PM EDT
A shocking announcement from the Tigers today.
Aug 4, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
He has a strained forearm.
Aug 4, 2015, 3:12 PM EDT
No Royals were suspended.
Aug 4, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
He calls it a “hail Mary”
Aug 4, 2015, 2:46 PM EDT
In between the DL stints Freeman played just 10 games.
Aug 4, 2015, 1:19 PM EDT
He played two games for the Yankees.
Aug 4, 2015, 12:27 PM EDT
Incredible numbers for a 20-year-old shortstop.
Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash”
Aug 4, 2015, 11:44 AM EDT
Gregg Zaun, as always, providing a voice of reason.
Aug 4, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
He’s pitcher number two they received in the David Price deal.
Aug 4, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
“I only have one head.”
Aug 4, 2015, 9:48 AM EDT
Not having access to athletes and coaches would be a bummer at first, but over time the press would do just fine with it.
Aug 4, 2015, 8:44 AM EDT
Congratulations to Mike Hessman. The greatest minor league lifer of them all.
Aug 4, 2015, 8:02 AM EDT
A.J. Pierzynski is a national freakin’ treasure.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 8
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 26
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 58
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 99
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (99)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)