Jul 25, 2013, 5:17 PM EDT
Carlos Zambrano hasn’t pitched since being shut down in late June with a shoulder injury and the Phillies have released him from Triple-A.
Zambrano signed a minor-league deal with the Phillies in mid-May and seemed relatively close to making it back to the majors before the arm problems, starting seven total games in the minors with a 2.04 ERA.
However, his 30/17 K/BB ratio in 35 innings wasn’t as impressive as the nice-looking ERA and he likely wouldn’t have been an option for the Phillies until mid-August anyway.
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 75
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 62
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 66
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 72
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)