Jul 25, 2013, 9:44 AM EDT
Alex Rodriguez has become like Charles Foster Kane in Citizen Kane as he nears the end of his baseball life: In his castle, surrounded by riches, without allies, isolated.
Maybe. But it’s a pretty sweet castle. There were monkeys and giant fireplaces and rooms you could totally destroy in fits of rage which someone else would come clean up. I can think of worse ends.
In all seriousness, though, I do sometimes wonder what Rodriguez’s post playing career will look like. There are a few standard things ex-players fall into. The coaching track. The own car dealerships/pizza franchises track. Whatever the hell track Lenny Dykstra found himself on.
I guess owning lots of random businesses that he doesn’t operate while transitioning into aging Lothario status is the best bet. But I really don’t know.
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 14
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 22
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 87
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 73
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)