Jul 25, 2013, 9:44 AM EDT
Alex Rodriguez has become like Charles Foster Kane in Citizen Kane as he nears the end of his baseball life: In his castle, surrounded by riches, without allies, isolated.
Maybe. But it’s a pretty sweet castle. There were monkeys and giant fireplaces and rooms you could totally destroy in fits of rage which someone else would come clean up. I can think of worse ends.
In all seriousness, though, I do sometimes wonder what Rodriguez’s post playing career will look like. There are a few standard things ex-players fall into. The coaching track. The own car dealerships/pizza franchises track. Whatever the hell track Lenny Dykstra found himself on.
I guess owning lots of random businesses that he doesn’t operate while transitioning into aging Lothario status is the best bet. But I really don’t know.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (134)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)