Jul 25, 2013, 9:44 AM EST
Alex Rodriguez has become like Charles Foster Kane in Citizen Kane as he nears the end of his baseball life: In his castle, surrounded by riches, without allies, isolated.
Maybe. But it’s a pretty sweet castle. There were monkeys and giant fireplaces and rooms you could totally destroy in fits of rage which someone else would come clean up. I can think of worse ends.
In all seriousness, though, I do sometimes wonder what Rodriguez’s post playing career will look like. There are a few standard things ex-players fall into. The coaching track. The own car dealerships/pizza franchises track. Whatever the hell track Lenny Dykstra found himself on.
I guess owning lots of random businesses that he doesn’t operate while transitioning into aging Lothario status is the best bet. But I really don’t know.
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 67
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 25
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 66
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 256
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (257)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (101)
- Robinson Cano signing only bad if the Mariners stop now (93)