Jul 25, 2013, 9:44 AM EDT
Alex Rodriguez has become like Charles Foster Kane in Citizen Kane as he nears the end of his baseball life: In his castle, surrounded by riches, without allies, isolated.
Maybe. But it’s a pretty sweet castle. There were monkeys and giant fireplaces and rooms you could totally destroy in fits of rage which someone else would come clean up. I can think of worse ends.
In all seriousness, though, I do sometimes wonder what Rodriguez’s post playing career will look like. There are a few standard things ex-players fall into. The coaching track. The own car dealerships/pizza franchises track. Whatever the hell track Lenny Dykstra found himself on.
I guess owning lots of random businesses that he doesn’t operate while transitioning into aging Lothario status is the best bet. But I really don’t know.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (110)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)