Jul 25, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
For years St. Petersburg mayor Bill Foster’s position has been that if the Rays looked at possible new stadium sites outside of Pinellas County they and whoever they negotiate with are threatening the lease for Tropicana Field. There have even been threats of legal action if other cities or counties tried to lure the team from St. Petersburg.
Mayor Bill Foster and Rays principal owner Stu Sternberg have been talking, and city attorneys have been meeting with team officials to negotiate an agreement that would allow the team to explore other possible stadium sites. The most recent meeting with the city’s legal team took place Wednesday morning.
Foster is in a reelection fight and the Rays have become an issue, according to the report. It’s possible that even if the lease and the finances favor Foster’s Tropicana-Field-Or-Bust view of the world, that view is becoming a political liability.
I wouldn’t say this means anything is changing any time soon. But it is a first step toward some sort of resolution to get the team out of that ballpark before the lease is up in 2027.
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 56
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 16
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 98
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 32
- Meet the Matz! The Mets call up Steven Matz to make his MLB debut 11
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 23
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Report: Pete Rose bet on baseball as a player, not just as a manager (148)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- First-ever female baseball player added to MLB’s international registration list (104)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (98)