Jul 25, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Ross Detwiler has been on the disabled list since July 4 with a strained back, but after seeing a specialist yesterday the Nationals left-hander has been diagnosed with a pinched nerve caused by a disc problem.
Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com reports that Detwiler is expected to be out for at least another month, which potentially puts his season in jeopardy. Taylor Jordan has done just fine filling in for Detwiler, but the rookie is scheduled to be shut down due to a workload limit in another 20-30 innings.
Trading for another veteran starter might make sense if the Nationals weren’t 48-53, so turning to Ross Ohlendorf once Jordan is out of innings could be their move. Detwiler has a 3.62 ERA in 50 starts since 2011.
- Major League Baseball needs to shift the All-Star week schedule 11
- Futures Game lineups: Team USA vs. Team World 6
- Braves suspend Dan Uggla one game for being extremely tardy on Saturday in Chicago 22
- Cliff Lee on track to return to Phillies’ rotation July 21 3
- MRI shows biceps strain, no structural damage, for Nationals starter Jordan Zimmermann 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 22
- Reds hope to get Joey Votto back for the “stretch run” 8
- Jean Segura leaves Brewers following the death of his nine-month-old son 47
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (192)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)