Jul 25, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Ross Detwiler has been on the disabled list since July 4 with a strained back, but after seeing a specialist yesterday the Nationals left-hander has been diagnosed with a pinched nerve caused by a disc problem.
Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com reports that Detwiler is expected to be out for at least another month, which potentially puts his season in jeopardy. Taylor Jordan has done just fine filling in for Detwiler, but the rookie is scheduled to be shut down due to a workload limit in another 20-30 innings.
Trading for another veteran starter might make sense if the Nationals weren’t 48-53, so turning to Ross Ohlendorf once Jordan is out of innings could be their move. Detwiler has a 3.62 ERA in 50 starts since 2011.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 20
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 17
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)