Jul 25, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Ross Detwiler has been on the disabled list since July 4 with a strained back, but after seeing a specialist yesterday the Nationals left-hander has been diagnosed with a pinched nerve caused by a disc problem.
Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com reports that Detwiler is expected to be out for at least another month, which potentially puts his season in jeopardy. Taylor Jordan has done just fine filling in for Detwiler, but the rookie is scheduled to be shut down due to a workload limit in another 20-30 innings.
Trading for another veteran starter might make sense if the Nationals weren’t 48-53, so turning to Ross Ohlendorf once Jordan is out of innings could be their move. Detwiler has a 3.62 ERA in 50 starts since 2011.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 42
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 14
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)