Jul 25, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Ross Detwiler has been on the disabled list since July 4 with a strained back, but after seeing a specialist yesterday the Nationals left-hander has been diagnosed with a pinched nerve caused by a disc problem.
Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com reports that Detwiler is expected to be out for at least another month, which potentially puts his season in jeopardy. Taylor Jordan has done just fine filling in for Detwiler, but the rookie is scheduled to be shut down due to a workload limit in another 20-30 innings.
Trading for another veteran starter might make sense if the Nationals weren’t 48-53, so turning to Ross Ohlendorf once Jordan is out of innings could be their move. Detwiler has a 3.62 ERA in 50 starts since 2011.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 26
- Andrew McCutchen departs game versus Cardinals after aggravating injured left rib cage 3
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 12
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 14
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 60
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Report: Cubs calling up top prospect outfielder Jorge Soler 40
- Shin-Soo Choo to undergo season-ending bone spur surgery on elbow 13
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (142)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (89)