Jul 25, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Ryan Vogelsong pitched two innings in a minor-league rehab start yesterday, seeing his first game action since breaking his hand in mid-May.
Vogelsong threw a total of 34 pitches against rookie-league hitters and Andrew Owens of MLB.com reports that he’ll stretch out to 40-50 pitches in another start Friday at Single-A.
Even before breaking his hand Vogelsong was in danger of losing his rotation spot, posting a 7.19 ERA in nine starts, so the Giants likely won’t rush him back. He had a 3.05 ERA in 369 innings between 2011 and 2012, but at age 35 his career is at another crossroads.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 61
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (111)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)