Jul 25, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Ryan Vogelsong pitched two innings in a minor-league rehab start yesterday, seeing his first game action since breaking his hand in mid-May.
Vogelsong threw a total of 34 pitches against rookie-league hitters and Andrew Owens of MLB.com reports that he’ll stretch out to 40-50 pitches in another start Friday at Single-A.
Even before breaking his hand Vogelsong was in danger of losing his rotation spot, posting a 7.19 ERA in nine starts, so the Giants likely won’t rush him back. He had a 3.05 ERA in 369 innings between 2011 and 2012, but at age 35 his career is at another crossroads.
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 27
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 94
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 17
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 80
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 10
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 93
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 21
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (280)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)