Jul 25, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Ryan Vogelsong pitched two innings in a minor-league rehab start yesterday, seeing his first game action since breaking his hand in mid-May.
Vogelsong threw a total of 34 pitches against rookie-league hitters and Andrew Owens of MLB.com reports that he’ll stretch out to 40-50 pitches in another start Friday at Single-A.
Even before breaking his hand Vogelsong was in danger of losing his rotation spot, posting a 7.19 ERA in nine starts, so the Giants likely won’t rush him back. He had a 3.05 ERA in 369 innings between 2011 and 2012, but at age 35 his career is at another crossroads.
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 51
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 46
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 76
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 112
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 31
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (190)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (112)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)