Jul 25, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Ryan Vogelsong pitched two innings in a minor-league rehab start yesterday, seeing his first game action since breaking his hand in mid-May.
Vogelsong threw a total of 34 pitches against rookie-league hitters and Andrew Owens of MLB.com reports that he’ll stretch out to 40-50 pitches in another start Friday at Single-A.
Even before breaking his hand Vogelsong was in danger of losing his rotation spot, posting a 7.19 ERA in nine starts, so the Giants likely won’t rush him back. He had a 3.05 ERA in 369 innings between 2011 and 2012, but at age 35 his career is at another crossroads.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 12
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 16
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 85
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8