Jul 25, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Ryan Vogelsong pitched two innings in a minor-league rehab start yesterday, seeing his first game action since breaking his hand in mid-May.
Vogelsong threw a total of 34 pitches against rookie-league hitters and Andrew Owens of MLB.com reports that he’ll stretch out to 40-50 pitches in another start Friday at Single-A.
Even before breaking his hand Vogelsong was in danger of losing his rotation spot, posting a 7.19 ERA in nine starts, so the Giants likely won’t rush him back. He had a 3.05 ERA in 369 innings between 2011 and 2012, but at age 35 his career is at another crossroads.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 4
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 11
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)