Jul 25, 2013, 10:31 PM EDT
The Marlins have shown that they aren’t afraid to make bold deals that upset the masses, so this report from Danny Knobler of CBS Sports is a bit curious. While the club is getting calls on relievers Steve Cishek and Mike Dunn, Knobler hears that they are telling teams that neither of them are available.
Of course, it’s always possible that the Marlins are just putting that out there in order to boost the asking price. Either way, it’s a strange place to draw the line for a team that isn’t close to contending. Granted, Dunn and Cishek aren’t expensive right now, but they likely will be by the time the Marlins are in position to compete for anything. Given what the Brewers got for Francisco Rodriguez, it would behoove them to not rule out a deal if they can get a useful piece in return.
Cishek, a 27-year-old right-hander, has a 3.09 ERA, 19 saves, and a 44/15 K/BB ratio over 43 2/3 innings this season. Dunn, a 28-year-old left-hander, owns a 2.64 ERA and 42/20 K/BB ratio in 44 1/3 innings this season. Both pitchers will be arbitration-eligible of the first time this winter.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 56
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)