Jul 25, 2013, 10:31 PM EDT
The Marlins have shown that they aren’t afraid to make bold deals that upset the masses, so this report from Danny Knobler of CBS Sports is a bit curious. While the club is getting calls on relievers Steve Cishek and Mike Dunn, Knobler hears that they are telling teams that neither of them are available.
Of course, it’s always possible that the Marlins are just putting that out there in order to boost the asking price. Either way, it’s a strange place to draw the line for a team that isn’t close to contending. Granted, Dunn and Cishek aren’t expensive right now, but they likely will be by the time the Marlins are in position to compete for anything. Given what the Brewers got for Francisco Rodriguez, it would behoove them to not rule out a deal if they can get a useful piece in return.
Cishek, a 27-year-old right-hander, has a 3.09 ERA, 19 saves, and a 44/15 K/BB ratio over 43 2/3 innings this season. Dunn, a 28-year-old left-hander, owns a 2.64 ERA and 42/20 K/BB ratio in 44 1/3 innings this season. Both pitchers will be arbitration-eligible of the first time this winter.
- Jean Segura leaves Brewers following the death of his nine-month-old son 27
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 61
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 50
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 113
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 31
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (191)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (113)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)