Jul 25, 2013, 10:31 PM EST
The Marlins have shown that they aren’t afraid to make bold deals that upset the masses, so this report from Danny Knobler of CBS Sports is a bit curious. While the club is getting calls on relievers Steve Cishek and Mike Dunn, Knobler hears that they are telling teams that neither of them are available.
Of course, it’s always possible that the Marlins are just putting that out there in order to boost the asking price. Either way, it’s a strange place to draw the line for a team that isn’t close to contending. Granted, Dunn and Cishek aren’t expensive right now, but they likely will be by the time the Marlins are in position to compete for anything. Given what the Brewers got for Francisco Rodriguez, it would behoove them to not rule out a deal if they can get a useful piece in return.
Cishek, a 27-year-old right-hander, has a 3.09 ERA, 19 saves, and a 44/15 K/BB ratio over 43 2/3 innings this season. Dunn, a 28-year-old left-hander, owns a 2.64 ERA and 42/20 K/BB ratio in 44 1/3 innings this season. Both pitchers will be arbitration-eligible of the first time this winter.
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 44
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 8
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 25
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 35
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 88
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 29
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 97
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)