Jul 25, 2013, 10:31 PM EDT
The Marlins have shown that they aren’t afraid to make bold deals that upset the masses, so this report from Danny Knobler of CBS Sports is a bit curious. While the club is getting calls on relievers Steve Cishek and Mike Dunn, Knobler hears that they are telling teams that neither of them are available.
Of course, it’s always possible that the Marlins are just putting that out there in order to boost the asking price. Either way, it’s a strange place to draw the line for a team that isn’t close to contending. Granted, Dunn and Cishek aren’t expensive right now, but they likely will be by the time the Marlins are in position to compete for anything. Given what the Brewers got for Francisco Rodriguez, it would behoove them to not rule out a deal if they can get a useful piece in return.
Cishek, a 27-year-old right-hander, has a 3.09 ERA, 19 saves, and a 44/15 K/BB ratio over 43 2/3 innings this season. Dunn, a 28-year-old left-hander, owns a 2.64 ERA and 42/20 K/BB ratio in 44 1/3 innings this season. Both pitchers will be arbitration-eligible of the first time this winter.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 100
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (116)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (100)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)