Jul 25, 2013, 10:31 PM EDT
The Marlins have shown that they aren’t afraid to make bold deals that upset the masses, so this report from Danny Knobler of CBS Sports is a bit curious. While the club is getting calls on relievers Steve Cishek and Mike Dunn, Knobler hears that they are telling teams that neither of them are available.
Of course, it’s always possible that the Marlins are just putting that out there in order to boost the asking price. Either way, it’s a strange place to draw the line for a team that isn’t close to contending. Granted, Dunn and Cishek aren’t expensive right now, but they likely will be by the time the Marlins are in position to compete for anything. Given what the Brewers got for Francisco Rodriguez, it would behoove them to not rule out a deal if they can get a useful piece in return.
Cishek, a 27-year-old right-hander, has a 3.09 ERA, 19 saves, and a 44/15 K/BB ratio over 43 2/3 innings this season. Dunn, a 28-year-old left-hander, owns a 2.64 ERA and 42/20 K/BB ratio in 44 1/3 innings this season. Both pitchers will be arbitration-eligible of the first time this winter.
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 42
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 216
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 31
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 44
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (216)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)