Jul 26, 2013, 8:53 AM EDT
Brian Wilson threw for an assemblage of scouts yesterday and Danny Knobler of CBS Sports.com says that the reviews are favorable:
“He looked good,” the scout said. “His fastball was 90-93 mph. [He's] not far away.”
It may be easier to list the teams that wouldn’t be at least mildly interested in what is, essentially, freely available bullpen talent. And his presence on the market may be frustrating for any out-of-contention team looking to peddle a reliever.
Off the top of my head I’d say Detroit, Atlanta, San Francisco and Pittsburgh would all have at least some interest. Knobler says scouts from the Pirates, Diamondbacks, A’s, Giants, Phillies, Rangers, Rockies and Cardinals were in attendance at Wilson’s audition.
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 8
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 160
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 6
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 30
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 35
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (160)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)