Jul 26, 2013, 7:14 PM EST
Bryce Harper missed all of June with bursitis in his left knee and required treatment for the joint earlier this week. Now the situation has worsened further.
According to Mark Zuckerman of CSN Washington, Harper is not in the Nationals’ starting lineup for Game 2 of Friday’s day-night doubleheader with the Mets because he aggravated his left knee while diving for a ball in the outfield in Game 1. It wasn’t a serious aggravation, but it’s worrisome nonetheless for a Washington team that carries a disappointing 49-54 record into the nightcap at Nationals Park.
Steve Lombardozzi will start in left field and bat seventh.
Harper is hitting .271/.373/.520 with 14 home runs and 31 RBI in 65 games this season. The 20-year-old phenom slugged a walkoff home run in the Nats’ 9-7 win over the Pirates on Thursday afternoon.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)