Cliff Lee scratched from Saturday start against the Tigers because of neck stiffness

Jul 26, 2013, 7:58 PM EDT

cliff lee wide getty Getty Images

Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. told Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com on Friday afternoon that he is open to trade offers for a range of Phillies players, including left-handed starter Cliff Lee. But that specific situation just got a bit complicated.

According to Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer, Lee has been scratched from his scheduled start Saturday against the Tigers because of a stiff neck. Raul Valdes will take the mound in his place.

Some have suggested that Lee’s scratching might be part of a sudden push by the Phillies to execute a trade — the 34-year-old ace would be rested and ready to pitch right away if dealt to a new team — but there’s been no indication of that being the case.

Lee, 34, has a 3.05 ERA, 1.01 WHIP and 131/22 K/BB ratio in 144 2/3 innings this season for the 49-53 Phillies. He’s owed $50 million in 2014-2015 and carries a $27.5 million vesting option for 2016. Crasnick notes that the Red Sox, Cardinals, Dodgers, Pirates, Indians and Braves are seeking a frontline starter.

1. losanginsight - Jul 26, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Welcome to beautiful sunny southern California.

2. ame123 - Jul 26, 2013 at 8:10 PM

I would limit the list of possible trade partners to the Red Sox, Cards, Dodgers and maybe the Rangers.

• gibbyfan - Jul 26, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Cards could really use him but doubt they could afford those numbers –those numbers plus his age not sure it wold be wise evenif they could

• ame123 - Jul 26, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Where else you gonna get an Ace like that? And its only a 2.5 year commitment. David Price looks like the only other guy available that’s close in the next 1.5 years.

3. cheeks9441 - Jul 26, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Stiff neck? Hmmmmmmmmmmm

4. eaglessuperfan - Jul 26, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Dodgers for Joc Pederson Chris Withrow and Zach Lee. That is what I would ask for

5. scotttheskeptic - Jul 26, 2013 at 8:28 PM

I will take this at face value, and thus another sign to Amaro to commence the transition. Amaro has proven to be sly and arrogant, not tactically intelligent.

• scotttheskeptic - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Anybody care to elucidate on his/her thumbs down? Would like the discussion.

• xmatt0926x - Jul 26, 2013 at 10:04 PM

I wouldn’t take the thumbs down too seriously. You could say you wanted world peace and the end of world hunger and you’d get just as many thumbs down as thumbs up.

• scotttheskeptic - Jul 26, 2013 at 11:49 PM

I now request, those expressing a negative opinion via “thumbs down” express yourselves. I do not take it personally, but want to know why I am wrong.

6. historiophiliac - Jul 26, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Booooo!!!! To afraid to face His Heterochromianess? Uh-huh.

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Or, a great exaulted return to…… Cleveland. ;-)

• historiophiliac - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:04 PM

How far into the scotch are you tonight, capitalist?

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:34 PM

16 year tonite, thanks to working the opportunities provided this week.

In other words, unlike my Phils, I’m just getting warmed up.

Though I do wish I had OG’s number or email, I’m good for a political debate tonite. Besmirching state’s rights in favor of a super Fed annoys me to no end.

And the answer to your earlier question, is paper snarf. Like any good bully, I’ve chosen to ignore him.

It’s the former bouncer in me I guess, let the power drinkers babble unil they need to be shown the door.

• historiophiliac - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:45 PM

I knew it! ha ha Awww, I hate it when my bf’s fight. Very sorry for your loss. Not. he he I’m finishing off a bottle of Chianti!

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:56 PM

It’s no loss, the best reward for folk like him is that, at the end of the day, he has to live with himself.

As far as the fightin’s go, they’re Revere and Brownless. That is a season buzz kill.

And as long as you’re not enjoying the chianti with an old friend and some Fava beans, I’ll keep my firearms locked away ;-)

• scotttheskeptic - Jul 26, 2013 at 10:10 PM

heyblue,

Fellow Phils fan here. You wanna talk politics, I will engage. Let me know how to be in touch.

• historiophiliac - Jul 26, 2013 at 10:10 PM

You still have Svelte Delmon Young!

Ugh, with your state’s rights. What now?

• scotttheskeptic - Jul 26, 2013 at 10:13 PM

historio,

Players with last name ‘Young’ are Amaro’s way of defying the age his roster. Two-ninths of the time, it can be be said that ‘Young’ came through.

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 26, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Not here, Scotty, I don’t know where you stand on anything. I start at “Big Federal Government is impossible to manage, no matter what party is running the show.” and that the last two Pres’ leave a lot to be desired. That’s the beginning.

• historiophiliac - Jul 26, 2013 at 10:34 PM

I have a hard time reconciling that with your patriotism.

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 26, 2013 at 10:41 PM

I’m an more an opportunist than you might think. Maybe it makes me a bit snakish, then again, maybe that’s what the people fail to see in this country.

Opportunity is there, one needs only to seize it.

• scotttheskeptic - Jul 26, 2013 at 11:32 PM

I agree, not here. Do not necessarily disagree with your starting point. Would like to engage you as a Phillies fan and fellow American. Could be fun.

• scotttheskeptic - Jul 26, 2013 at 11:35 PM

Oh, and please, heyblue, never Scotty, that is a breed of Terrier. Thanks.

• scotttheskeptic - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Actually, historio, what would y’all be willing to give up for Papelbon?

• historiophiliac - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Don Kelly and a bag a nuts sound ok?

Ask again in a few days. I think the game is afoot on Brian Wilson.

• scotttheskeptic - Jul 26, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Yup, but will re-consult.

7. strk3 - Jul 26, 2013 at 8:40 PM

He’s not trading Lee. He said in an interview with CSN Philly that he wasn’t inclined to trade him but that he didn’t want to put anything in absolutes. I can see Chooch or M. Young being moved but that’s probably it. I guess Pap is a possibility but his contract complicates things. I can’t see RAJ moving Pap and paying a large portion of his contract– which is what he would probably have to do to get something decent in return.

8. Arods Other Doctor - Jul 26, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Cliff Lee is fine, I evaluated him. Well, actually I just saw a picture of him. Actually it was the picture of him posted above and I can tell that he’s fine. The Phillies are just holding him back.

• historiophiliac - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Brilliant handle and post. Well done.

• scotttheskeptic - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:28 PM

I seem to be having “aging problems”, can you help?

• historiophiliac - Jul 26, 2013 at 10:02 PM

If your leg is stiff too long after, I think you have to have a centaur pee on it.

9. jayscarpa - Jul 27, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Lee is probably just sick of moving.

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3767)