Jake Peavy a “legit possibility” for the Braves

Jul 26, 2013, 12:31 PM EDT

From the Bud Norris rumor this morning to this from David O’Brien of the AJC:

O’Brien tends to be a pretty good indicator of what the Braves front office is actually thinking, so it’s safe to say they’re interested in him and, more generally starting pitching.

1. El Bravo - Jul 26, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Bring in Peavy. I like him way more than Lohse and Buddy No No. He’s healthy now and that’s all that matters with Peavy. If he is healthy, he’s the best of the three by far. Buddy No No will improve for sure under the magic that is the Braves pitch coaching and the fact he’ll be back in the NL, but I’m not convinced he’ll put it together all that quickly.

Also, what the hell happened to Medlen? Yikes.

• bravojawja - Jul 26, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Maybe all the talk about going back to the bullpen messed with Medlen’s head? Give the guy a stable job and maybe he’ll be fine. And if he’s fine, he’s a better upgrade on Bad Medlen than any available starter other than Cliff Lee.

2. dacty4491 - Jul 26, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Who do the Braves have to offer for Peavy, or anyone else who might prove of value? There’s not a lot of talent in their farm system right now, at least not in the upper levels, and there’s no one in the lower minors who is considered to be a lock, barring injury.

• El Bravo - Jul 26, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Cash.

3. heyblueyoustink - Jul 26, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Maybe they can trade an Upton…..

4. jcmeyer10 - Jul 26, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Scene: Craig walks out of front door of house…. Newsreporter and camera man run up to Craig…

Reporter: Craig, Craig, Peavy is rumored to be a “legit possibility” for Braves. How does this make you feel…

Craig: ___(fill in the blank Craig)___

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 26, 2013 at 1:22 PM

” Sorry fellas, if I knew you were coming, I would have changed out of my Gummi Bears pajamas.”

5. unclemosesgreen - Jul 26, 2013 at 1:03 PM

This deal is 99% finished. I’m going to write down the team he’s going to, seal it in an envelope and then tell you later whether I got it right or wrong. Hint: I’m going to say I got it right.

• melo5812 - Jul 26, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Yea like anyone but u can see the inside sealed answer have done balls mr I know where he is going and say it here ill give u credit if u end up right but I just think your bluffing so prove it

6. scdocal - Jul 26, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Would love to have peavy just don’t want to give up too many solid prospects if we can do it without it killing our farm system I am all for it

7. cryomark - Jul 26, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Since my Sox seem to be in full rebuild mode, I’d trade Peavey for a working coffee pot, so long as they took Dunn as well.

• gpatrick15 - Jul 26, 2013 at 1:54 PM

While I’m sure they’d off up a nice Keurig, I doubt they’d offer the coffe to go with it for Dunn. They already strike out too much.

8. phreakin - Jul 26, 2013 at 2:06 PM

he will ne with Arizona nefore Monday. Dbacks had 2 scouts watching him during his last start and lets not forget Peavey has history with Kevin Towers

• phreakin - Jul 26, 2013 at 2:09 PM

And I can’t type on mobile apparently

9. modellforprez - Jul 26, 2013 at 2:21 PM

forget those bums. if you can pry James “Cy young” Mcdonald away from the Pirates. now that would give a clear cut staff ace with Electric STUFF.

10. wpjohnson - Jul 26, 2013 at 4:28 PM

The Braves farm system is not what it was ten years ago. there isn’t a lot that would be of interest to the White Sox other than Bethencourt, Graham, and Gilmartin. It aint like the “old days”. It started down hill at a rapid speed with the rape of the farm system in the Teixeira trade. It has not improved.

• hockeyfan28 - Jul 26, 2013 at 11:04 PM

Yeh that raped farm system the last 5 years has produced Hayward,Freeman,Kimbrel,Minor,Tehran,Simmonds,Venters,Medlan,Beechy, and Gattis there’s about 25 teams who would want the braves problems with their farm system

11. zackautry - Jul 28, 2013 at 4:14 AM

Remember, the only time people find fault in our farm club is right around the time to trade for someone. Our system “never has enough to get” so-in-so or we are “not very deep.” But when someone comes up and dominates, its a “testament to our scouting and player development in our deep farm club.” Gimme a break

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win