Jul 26, 2013, 8:40 PM EDT
Quintero was designated for assignment by the Phillies on Wednesday and opted to become a free agent after passing through waivers unclaimed.
The 33-year-old was batting .250/.294/.406 with two home runs and nine RBI in 24 games this season for Philadelphia. He’s likely to share time at catcher with Henry Blanco while Zunino recovers from his surgery.
Zunino could be in rehab mode for the remainder of the 2013 campaign.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 21
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 6
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 86
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)