Jul 26, 2013, 8:40 PM EST
Quintero was designated for assignment by the Phillies on Wednesday and opted to become a free agent after passing through waivers unclaimed.
The 33-year-old was batting .250/.294/.406 with two home runs and nine RBI in 24 games this season for Philadelphia. He’s likely to share time at catcher with Henry Blanco while Zunino recovers from his surgery.
Zunino could be in rehab mode for the remainder of the 2013 campaign.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 48
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)