Jul 26, 2013, 8:40 PM EST
Quintero was designated for assignment by the Phillies on Wednesday and opted to become a free agent after passing through waivers unclaimed.
The 33-year-old was batting .250/.294/.406 with two home runs and nine RBI in 24 games this season for Philadelphia. He’s likely to share time at catcher with Henry Blanco while Zunino recovers from his surgery.
Zunino could be in rehab mode for the remainder of the 2013 campaign.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 56
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 85
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 37
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 14
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (85)