Jul 26, 2013, 8:40 PM EDT
Quintero was designated for assignment by the Phillies on Wednesday and opted to become a free agent after passing through waivers unclaimed.
The 33-year-old was batting .250/.294/.406 with two home runs and nine RBI in 24 games this season for Philadelphia. He’s likely to share time at catcher with Henry Blanco while Zunino recovers from his surgery.
Zunino could be in rehab mode for the remainder of the 2013 campaign.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 238
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 141
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (248)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (156)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)