Jul 26, 2013, 6:31 PM EDT
From the Detroit Free Press comes word that Tigers slugger Miguel Cabrera will miss a fourth straight game Friday due to lingering soreness in his left hip flexor. Don Kelly will get the start at third base and Matt Tuiasosopo will play left field as the American League Central-leading Tigers open a three-game set against the Phillies at Detroit’s Comerica Park.
Cabrera has reported some improvement in his hip and could be available to pinch-hit if he makes it through pregame batting practice. The Tigers, who enter play Friday with a three-game division lead over the Indians, aren’t going to rush him back until he’s discomfort-free.
Cabrera, 30, is batting .358/.454/.666 with 31 home runs and 96 RBI in 97 games this season.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 21
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)