Jul 26, 2013, 5:55 PM EST
Mike Zunino exited last night’s game after taking a foul ball off his left hand and the Mariners catcher has been diagnosed with a fractured hamate bone.
Ryan Divish of the Tacoma News Tribune reports that Zunino is expected to miss six weeks, meaning the rookie is no sure thing to play again this season.
Zunino was called up on June 12 despite hitting .238 with a horrible strikeout-to-walk ratio (albeit with lots of power) at Triple-A and the former No. 3 overall pick has predictably struggled in the majors, hitting .242 with two homers and a .659 OPS in 29 games while striking out 26 times compared to nine walks.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)