Jul 26, 2013, 5:55 PM EDT
Mike Zunino exited last night’s game after taking a foul ball off his left hand and the Mariners catcher has been diagnosed with a fractured hamate bone.
Ryan Divish of the Tacoma News Tribune reports that Zunino is expected to miss six weeks, meaning the rookie is no sure thing to play again this season.
Zunino was called up on June 12 despite hitting .238 with a horrible strikeout-to-walk ratio (albeit with lots of power) at Triple-A and the former No. 3 overall pick has predictably struggled in the majors, hitting .242 with two homers and a .659 OPS in 29 games while striking out 26 times compared to nine walks.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 31
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 38
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 48
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)