Omar Infante had a “real bad” setback with his ankle injury

Jul 26, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT

Omar Infante AP

Omar Infante looked just about ready to come off the disabled list, but the Tigers second baseman suffered a setback with his injured ankle while rehabbing in the minors.

Tony Paul of the Detroit News reports that he left last night’s Single-A game early because of “continued soreness” in his ankle, with Infante saying afterward: “I’m feeling a lot of pain in my ankle right now. Real bad. Now when I’m walking, I feel pain.”

Infante has been out since taking the brunt of Colby Rasmus‘ takeout slide on July 3, but indicated after the setback that he might have tried to come back too soon. Whatever the case, it’ll likely be a while before he’s ready to rejoin Detroit’s lineup.

1. historiophiliac - Jul 26, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Urgh. And Miggy’s been out and now Torii is day-to-day. Must be nearing the final stretch.

• spudchukar - Jul 26, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Just heard from a fairly reliable source that the Tiggers are close to bringing back Inge in exchange for International cash.

• historiophiliac - Jul 26, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Nooooooooo!!!!!!

• spudchukar - Jul 26, 2013 at 4:27 PM

The total amount of cash in the deal totals 3 Pesos.

• historiophiliac - Jul 26, 2013 at 4:56 PM

That’s about right.

2. philliesblow - Jul 26, 2013 at 11:56 AM

I’m enjoying watching Hernan Perez, but I hope Omar gets back soon.

It would also help greatly if the imposter wearing #35 went back to where ever he came from and the real JV came back.

• historiophiliac - Jul 26, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Does this kid seem eager to prove himself or what? He is not wasting his big chance. I’ve been impressed with his aggressiveness.

• grumpyoleman - Jul 26, 2013 at 3:28 PM

It’s nice having some speed on the team.

3. tigersfandan - Jul 26, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Boy I hope we do something before the deadline.

4. scdocal - Jul 26, 2013 at 3:50 PM

As a Braves fan I always loved me some infante. Dudes I a great player. Hope he gets back to top form.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. M. Cuddyer (3027)