Jul 26, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT
Omar Infante looked just about ready to come off the disabled list, but the Tigers second baseman suffered a setback with his injured ankle while rehabbing in the minors.
Tony Paul of the Detroit News reports that he left last night’s Single-A game early because of “continued soreness” in his ankle, with Infante saying afterward: “I’m feeling a lot of pain in my ankle right now. Real bad. Now when I’m walking, I feel pain.”
Infante has been out since taking the brunt of Colby Rasmus‘ takeout slide on July 3, but indicated after the setback that he might have tried to come back too soon. Whatever the case, it’ll likely be a while before he’s ready to rejoin Detroit’s lineup.
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 44
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 17
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 61
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29