Jul 26, 2013, 9:13 AM EDT
We cover the PED stuff pretty heavily because it’s news and that’s what we do. But I know a lot of you are sick of it. Maybe so sick of it that your overall view of baseball is soured. If so that’s unfortunate, because as Jonah Keri reminds us, baseball is flippin’ sweet at the moment:
There’s a lot more to love than to hate this season, as there is every season. For every player likely to be suspended this year, there are 10 more doing extraordinary things. For every team that could see its pennant chances affected by the Biogenesis case’s undertow, there are five more with amazing stories to tell. In short, baseball is fun as hell right now.
Jonah goes over the stories that are going underreported: the Pirates’ ongoing dream season. Ed Lucas. Yasiel Puig. Mike Trout somehow doing it again. Cabrera and Davis. I’ll add another thing to that list: we are seeing absolutely wonderful pitching performances every single night. Actually, five or six of them each night. I don’t think people are really grasping how much good pitching is going down these days.
Maybe those aren’t all underreported. But they certainly have been cast to the side in the past week or two. And while Biogenesis suspensions are going to continue to dominate the news for a while, they don’t tell the entire story of the 2013 season. That stuff never does. Because baseball is cool and is bigger and better than that.
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 5
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 81
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 75
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (81)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)