Psst! Baseball is pretty awesome, dudes

Jul 26, 2013, 9:13 AM EDT

Ed Lucas AP

We cover the PED stuff pretty heavily because it’s news and that’s what we do. But I know a lot of you are sick of it. Maybe so sick of it that your overall view of baseball is soured. If so that’s unfortunate, because as Jonah Keri reminds us, baseball is flippin’ sweet at the moment:

There’s a lot more to love than to hate this season, as there is every season. For every player likely to be suspended this year, there are 10 more doing extraordinary things. For every team that could see its pennant chances affected by the Biogenesis case’s undertow, there are five more with amazing stories to tell. In short, baseball is fun as hell right now.

Jonah goes over the stories that are going underreported: the Pirates’ ongoing dream season. Ed Lucas. Yasiel Puig. Mike Trout somehow doing it again. Cabrera and Davis. I’ll add another thing to that list: we are seeing absolutely wonderful pitching performances every single night. Actually, five or six of them each night. I don’t think people are really grasping how much good pitching is going down these days.

Maybe those aren’t all underreported. But they certainly have been cast to the side in the past week or two. And while Biogenesis suspensions are going to continue to dominate the news for a while, they don’t tell the entire story of the 2013 season. That stuff never does. Because baseball is cool and is bigger and better than that.

1. crispybasil - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:22 AM

Ah, some optimism! Haven’t read the column yet, so perhaps this is a repeat: but I’m loving the fact that the AL East has gotten even more competitive this year. It’s great to see the Orioles having another awesome season, and damn, those Rays are looking pretty scary. The best part, of course, is that the Red Sox are in first.

• Old Gator - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:27 AM

I suspect there are many more people who think that the best part is the Borg in fourth.

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 26, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Yeah…..the Borg being in 4th easily trumps the Red Sox being in 1st.

• raysfan1 - Jul 26, 2013 at 10:03 AM

The best part will be the Rays passing the Sox to take over first.

• crispybasil - Jul 26, 2013 at 10:20 AM

I can see it happening, especially with the questions in Boston’s rotation. Rays have looked almost unbeatable lately.

• indaburg - Jul 26, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Here! Here! Cheers to that! (It’s 5 o’clock somewhere…)

2. mdpickles - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Baseball has been through wars, scandals, strikes, etc. It always perseveres. For every Palmeiro or Braun, there are the Utley’s, David Wright’s, Chipper Jones, and Mariano Rivera’s that make it the greatest sport to follow.

3. sdelmonte - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:27 AM

The scandals haven’t soured me on baseball. Just on sports reporters.

So very thankful we have someone like Jonah Keri around, for many reasons.

• paperlions - Jul 26, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Same here. Baseball writers are the only sports writers who, as a group, always make me questions if they even like the sport they cover. There are dozens of great stories unfolding and all most of the writers can do is wring their hands about PEDs, and endlessly moralize about it.

Those jackwagons haven’t affected my ability to enjoy baseball at all, they have just ensured that I never read any of their stuff.

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 26, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Well stated sdelmonte!

4. primetimewr9 - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:39 AM

I love Jonah Keri’s writing. He is the Peter King of MLB writing/coverage, and I think that’s a disservice to Jonah Keri. He has a great blend of subjective writing with objective writing, and as a Brewers fan, I was thrilled to read his Rise and Fall of the Milwaukee Brewers piece 3 weeks ago. It’s a joy to live in a small market with a small market team and read an article by a national sports writer name-drop an almost forgotten name from Brewers history like Dave Krynzel.

5. historiophiliac - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Did Craig just “dude” me?

• paperlions - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Nah, he was just talking to us, not to you.

• historiophiliac - Jul 26, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Oh, then I’ll go back to the Wilson post. Carry on….

paper bag!

• paperlions - Jul 26, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Rather than Tigress, shouldn’t that be Soonerette?

There is actually a HS in west Texas who are the “Steers”….and yes, the girl’s teams are called the “Steerettes”

• historiophiliac - Jul 26, 2013 at 12:36 PM

You know I’m not a Sooner. And, that’s better than the “Heifers,” I guess.

Be sure and read the Redneck Haiku I posted the link to. :)

• paperlions - Jul 26, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Yeah, the Heifer thing was my first observation as well….I guess a steerette is a transgender castrated bull. Where is the redneck haiku link posted?

• historiophiliac - Jul 26, 2013 at 12:44 PM

On the ATH page — off of the lukescott post.

• historiophiliac - Jul 26, 2013 at 12:56 PM

BTW, did you laugh at “paper bag”? he he

• paperlions - Jul 26, 2013 at 12:57 PM

I smiled. It is good to be properly rewarded for being contrary.

• historiophiliac - Jul 26, 2013 at 12:59 PM

I hadn’t pulled your tail in awhile. haha

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:58 AM

I’m sure “Dudettes” was implied.

• historiophiliac - Jul 26, 2013 at 10:02 AM

I don’t THINK so. “Dudette” >:( Hmmph.

• raysfan1 - Jul 26, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Dudess?

• historiophiliac - Jul 26, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Tigress. Rowr!

6. silversun60 - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Unless you’re a Jays fan, like me. Then baseball sucks.

7. charlutes - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Doesn’t affect my view of baseball, just my hbt

8. wijason - Jul 26, 2013 at 9:57 AM

“In short, baseball is fun as hell right now.”

Fun as hell?

• Old Gator - Jul 26, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Pardon Craig. He went to public school.

• indaburg - Jul 26, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Hell is where all the fun people go.

9. 1historian - Jul 26, 2013 at 10:03 AM

“Beizbol has been veddy good to Chico”

Remember that?

Beizbol is indeed the best of the games. However methinks it is at its best when you grab a beer, a lawn chair, and sit on the sidelines of a nice spring or summer day and watch the young folks play – free of charge.

Or perhaps when you (I) get in the car and drive about 100 miles south to see the (world famous) Portland (Maine) Sea Dogs. You have to pay for the tickets and the popcorn and the brew but it’s tolerable.

You wanna go to Boston – or any other city – pay an arm and a leg just to get near the place, pay God-knows what for a (lukewarm) hot dog, pray to God your car won’t get destroyed by someone or something by the time you get back to it, and by the time you get home if you haven’t paid around $75 per person (minimum) for the privilege, then you’re a better man than I, Gunga Din.

FYI – I am a hick and a Certified Old Fart, proud of it and grateful for it. In addition to that when I walk into the local market the owner greets me as an old coot, as per instructions.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 26, 2013 at 1:25 PM

watch the young folks play

The Yankees just signed a HS kid that was born in 1995, 1995!. During the wednesday game (Yanks/Rangers), they showed LLWS coverage of Profar. It was taken in 2005!

I am watching the young folks play :(

10. indaburg - Jul 26, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Anyone who allows all this negative chatter affect their view of baseball never really loved the sport. What do you mean (gasp) something (or someone) I love isn’t perfect? Welcome to the real world. Nobody is perfect.

It’s still the game I grew up with. All this negative buzz does nothing to change how I feel. Baseball, you’ll need to try harder to turn me off.

11. hojo20 - Jul 26, 2013 at 11:11 AM

The games are still WAY too long.

12. steelers88 - Jul 26, 2013 at 11:18 AM

I used to be a huge football fan I still like football but now it feels like the games are staged and the Gangster attitude just permeates throughout the whole league. I don’t get that with baseball it’s more of a pure game and I can’t relate more to the players unlike the NFL.

13. historiophiliac - Jul 26, 2013 at 11:20 AM

BTW, my brother must’ve gotten ahold of my phone somehow because the google search history comes up “homer bailey fantasy.” Baseball dudes.

• indaburg - Jul 26, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Quit lying. You know that was you.

• historiophiliac - Jul 26, 2013 at 11:59 AM

LMAO

He makes Brian Wilson look hawt!

• indaburg - Jul 26, 2013 at 12:01 PM