Jul 26, 2013, 9:13 AM EST
We cover the PED stuff pretty heavily because it’s news and that’s what we do. But I know a lot of you are sick of it. Maybe so sick of it that your overall view of baseball is soured. If so that’s unfortunate, because as Jonah Keri reminds us, baseball is flippin’ sweet at the moment:
There’s a lot more to love than to hate this season, as there is every season. For every player likely to be suspended this year, there are 10 more doing extraordinary things. For every team that could see its pennant chances affected by the Biogenesis case’s undertow, there are five more with amazing stories to tell. In short, baseball is fun as hell right now.
Jonah goes over the stories that are going underreported: the Pirates’ ongoing dream season. Ed Lucas. Yasiel Puig. Mike Trout somehow doing it again. Cabrera and Davis. I’ll add another thing to that list: we are seeing absolutely wonderful pitching performances every single night. Actually, five or six of them each night. I don’t think people are really grasping how much good pitching is going down these days.
Maybe those aren’t all underreported. But they certainly have been cast to the side in the past week or two. And while Biogenesis suspensions are going to continue to dominate the news for a while, they don’t tell the entire story of the 2013 season. That stuff never does. Because baseball is cool and is bigger and better than that.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 56
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 85
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 37
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 14
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (85)