Jul 26, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT
Less than two weeks ago when Brett Lawrie returned from the disabled list the Blue Jays decided to shift him from third base to second base, with manager John Gibbons saying all sorts of stuff about how he envisioned Lawrie and Jose Reyes forming an excellent double-play duo for years to come.
Lawrie hadn’t played second base since 2010 in the minors and apparently he won’t be playing there for the rest of the season, because after six games as a second baseman the Blue Jays have decided to shift him back to third base.
Gibbons indicated that Lawrie playing second base next season remains an option, but explained the quick change of mind to Mike Rutsey of the Toronto Sun:
I was watching the game last night and hey, I’m dumb but not stupid. We always have a right to change our mind. We’ll see how it plays out. We don’t have all the answers, we never claimed to have all the answers. Maybe it is smarter to leave him there.
“I’m dumb but not stupid” and “we never claimed to have all the answers” aren’t exactly reassuring quotes from a manager, but hey, it was fun while it lasted.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 238
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 141
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (252)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (156)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)