Jul 26, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT
Less than two weeks ago when Brett Lawrie returned from the disabled list the Blue Jays decided to shift him from third base to second base, with manager John Gibbons saying all sorts of stuff about how he envisioned Lawrie and Jose Reyes forming an excellent double-play duo for years to come.
Lawrie hadn’t played second base since 2010 in the minors and apparently he won’t be playing there for the rest of the season, because after six games as a second baseman the Blue Jays have decided to shift him back to third base.
Gibbons indicated that Lawrie playing second base next season remains an option, but explained the quick change of mind to Mike Rutsey of the Toronto Sun:
I was watching the game last night and hey, I’m dumb but not stupid. We always have a right to change our mind. We’ll see how it plays out. We don’t have all the answers, we never claimed to have all the answers. Maybe it is smarter to leave him there.
“I’m dumb but not stupid” and “we never claimed to have all the answers” aren’t exactly reassuring quotes from a manager, but hey, it was fun while it lasted.
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 5
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 29
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 47
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 68
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 51
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)