Jul 26, 2013, 11:51 AM EST
Less than two weeks ago when Brett Lawrie returned from the disabled list the Blue Jays decided to shift him from third base to second base, with manager John Gibbons saying all sorts of stuff about how he envisioned Lawrie and Jose Reyes forming an excellent double-play duo for years to come.
Lawrie hadn’t played second base since 2010 in the minors and apparently he won’t be playing there for the rest of the season, because after six games as a second baseman the Blue Jays have decided to shift him back to third base.
Gibbons indicated that Lawrie playing second base next season remains an option, but explained the quick change of mind to Mike Rutsey of the Toronto Sun:
I was watching the game last night and hey, I’m dumb but not stupid. We always have a right to change our mind. We’ll see how it plays out. We don’t have all the answers, we never claimed to have all the answers. Maybe it is smarter to leave him there.
“I’m dumb but not stupid” and “we never claimed to have all the answers” aren’t exactly reassuring quotes from a manager, but hey, it was fun while it lasted.
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 10
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 61
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 58
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 46
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 8
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)