Jul 26, 2013, 5:02 PM EDT
I don’t guess one game of a doubleheader is usually that notable, but since it was the only day game today the Mets-Nats affair got my attention. And even if it hadn’t beforehand, man, it would have after it got going.
The Mets demolished the Nationals 11-0. Jenrry Mejia got the start for New York and tossed seven shutout innings, striking out seven. Daniel Murphy was a one-man wrecking crew, going 4 for 5 with two homers. Ike Davis even got in on the act, hitting a three-run homer long after the game was decided.
About that Davis homer: it came off Drew Storen. And why Storen was pitching in the first place is a mystery. He came down with the flu overnight, and before the game Davey Johnson said that it was most likely that Storen would be unavailable for the day “unless he has a dramatic recovery.” But there he was in the ninth, coming in a game with runners on base. He gave up an RBI single to David Wright on his first pitch. An RBI double on his third pitch. The homer to Davis on his fourth. Davey basically made him wear this one.
Not everyone was happy with it. One of the unhappy ones: Drew Storen’s dad:
102 degree temperature, sicker than a dog…Let’s make him wear it!
— Mark Patrick (@mpos) July 26, 2013
I gave half a thought to the Nationals maybe bouncing back after yesterday’s walkoff win. But baseball doesn’t work that way. And the hot, sticky mess that is their 2013 season continues.
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 44
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 5
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 15
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 8
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 20
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)