Jul 26, 2013, 5:02 PM EST
I don’t guess one game of a doubleheader is usually that notable, but since it was the only day game today the Mets-Nats affair got my attention. And even if it hadn’t beforehand, man, it would have after it got going.
The Mets demolished the Nationals 11-0. Jenrry Mejia got the start for New York and tossed seven shutout innings, striking out seven. Daniel Murphy was a one-man wrecking crew, going 4 for 5 with two homers. Ike Davis even got in on the act, hitting a three-run homer long after the game was decided.
About that Davis homer: it came off Drew Storen. And why Storen was pitching in the first place is a mystery. He came down with the flu overnight, and before the game Davey Johnson said that it was most likely that Storen would be unavailable for the day “unless he has a dramatic recovery.” But there he was in the ninth, coming in a game with runners on base. He gave up an RBI single to David Wright on his first pitch. An RBI double on his third pitch. The homer to Davis on his fourth. Davey basically made him wear this one.
Not everyone was happy with it. One of the unhappy ones: Drew Storen’s dad:
102 degree temperature, sicker than a dog…Let’s make him wear it!
— Mark Patrick (@mpos) July 26, 2013
I gave half a thought to the Nationals maybe bouncing back after yesterday’s walkoff win. But baseball doesn’t work that way. And the hot, sticky mess that is their 2013 season continues.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 57
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 8
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 22
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 33
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)