Jul 26, 2013, 5:02 PM EDT
I don’t guess one game of a doubleheader is usually that notable, but since it was the only day game today the Mets-Nats affair got my attention. And even if it hadn’t beforehand, man, it would have after it got going.
The Mets demolished the Nationals 11-0. Jenrry Mejia got the start for New York and tossed seven shutout innings, striking out seven. Daniel Murphy was a one-man wrecking crew, going 4 for 5 with two homers. Ike Davis even got in on the act, hitting a three-run homer long after the game was decided.
About that Davis homer: it came off Drew Storen. And why Storen was pitching in the first place is a mystery. He came down with the flu overnight, and before the game Davey Johnson said that it was most likely that Storen would be unavailable for the day “unless he has a dramatic recovery.” But there he was in the ninth, coming in a game with runners on base. He gave up an RBI single to David Wright on his first pitch. An RBI double on his third pitch. The homer to Davis on his fourth. Davey basically made him wear this one.
Not everyone was happy with it. One of the unhappy ones: Drew Storen’s dad:
102 degree temperature, sicker than a dog…Let’s make him wear it!
— Mark Patrick (@mpos) July 26, 2013
I gave half a thought to the Nationals maybe bouncing back after yesterday’s walkoff win. But baseball doesn’t work that way. And the hot, sticky mess that is their 2013 season continues.
Jun 30, 2015, 3:58 PM EDT
Let us use this column to talk a bit about how rumors got started back in the day and how they get started now.
Jun 30, 2015, 3:20 PM EDT
Gallo played 25 games in his first taste of the big leagues.
Jun 30, 2015, 2:46 PM EDT
Chris Bassitt will start in his place.
Jun 30, 2015, 2:31 PM EDT
No one is quite sure when All-Star third baseman David Wright will be back.
Jun 30, 2015, 1:48 PM EDT
Not that anyone really wants you to know it’s up for bid.
Jun 30, 2015, 12:46 PM EDT
He’s making $4.8 million.
Jun 30, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
The old park housed the Eugene Emeralds until 2009
Jun 30, 2015, 12:02 PM EDT
Two men enter. One man leaves.
Jun 30, 2015, 11:26 AM EDT
I’d like to tell you a story about bullpen history and a young man named Tony La Russa.
Jun 30, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
The majority of the baseball-watching world hasn’t seemed to notice yet.
Jun 30, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Warren had a 3.59 ERA in 14 starts.
Jun 30, 2015, 9:25 AM EDT
And Chris Young was not too pleased about it.
Jun 30, 2015, 8:51 AM EDT
It goes far, far deeper than you ever could’ve imagined.
Jun 30, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT
One he gets past 45 pitches he turns every opposing hitter into Lou Gehrig.
Jun 30, 2015, 7:32 AM EDT
Mike Trout put on a clinic against the Yankees last night.
Jun 30, 2015, 12:23 AM EDT
We often take intentional walks for granted. Four tosses to the catcher. How hard can it be? Pretty hard, at least sometimes.
Jun 29, 2015, 11:45 PM EDT
Hamilton now has 40 stolen bases on the year, which is more than 15 MLB teams. You are reading that correctly.
Jun 29, 2015, 9:58 PM EDT
You’ve probably heard this advice for hitting knuckleballers before: If it’s low, let it go. If it’s high, let it fly. Well, Red Sox third baseman Pablo Sandoval took that to the extreme tonight against R.A. Dickey of the Blue Jays…
Jun 29, 2015, 9:09 PM EDT
Of course that happened.
Jun 29, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
Brewers outfielder Khris Davis needed surgery about a month ago for a torn meniscus in his right knee.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 2
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 39
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 23
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)