Topps to have WAR on the back of cards soon

Jul 26, 2013, 4:23 PM EDT

One of the most angrily grunted complaint against newer baseball statistics is that if it’s not good enough to be on the back of baseball cards who needs it?

Well:

Mr. Bleiberg is an editor for Topps, so he’d know.

Now, if we can only have every single card set contain those awesome cartoons about ballplayer hobbies. Like the 1973 set, which I wrote about once.

1. Detroit Michael - Jul 26, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Very cool, although it does open up a bit of a can of worms for them (which version? will they restate past years’ WAR figures when methodology and/or park factors change).

• ezthinking - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:59 AM

Odd that the champion of WAR for MLB has had his face punched in for a decade plus in the boxing ring, successful at getting is ass kicked, went to work for ESPN said boxing guy, (by the way the the most rigged, steroid loving sport in the world) and now’s he’s the (flattened) face of of what’e a baseball stat?

All Harold ever has to say is, “Your name is Kenny. It is Friday. Don’t forget to breathe. Read the script.” And maybe, “How many times did you take a dive, Kenny?”

2. nategearhart - Jul 26, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Now cue the “nobody cares about baseball cards anymore” comments from the goal post movers…

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 26, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Yep. I fully expect we will be seeing from Harry and FOEE anytime now.

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 26, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Jeesh!

seeing = hearing

edit…edit…edit…edit…EDIT FUNCTION!

• Francisco (FC) - Jul 26, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Well since we actually read comments instead of hearing them, your first post is likely more appropriate.

• proudlycanadian - Jul 26, 2013 at 4:37 PM

It has been a long time since I saw a baseball card. I am surprised that they still exist.

• El Bravo - Jul 26, 2013 at 4:57 PM

What the fuck is a baseball card?

• tfbuckfutter - Jul 26, 2013 at 5:21 PM

It’s baseball-reference.com only more conveniently located in giant boxes in my attic.

• km9000 - Jul 26, 2013 at 6:45 PM

They’re kinda like comic books. Both industries realize they were becoming commodities, and went nuts in making them more “collectable,” with foil stamping and holograms and jet packs and stuff. And raised prices accordingly.

Those early Marvel cards were pretty cool, though.

3. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jul 26, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Do they still contain those awesome pink sticks of gum flavored cardboard that would help promote gum replacement?

4. braddavery - Jul 26, 2013 at 4:39 PM

The baseball/trading card industry is alive and well. Check out completed sales on ebay to have your mind blown.

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 26, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Absolutely. I have a buddy who still collects them.

• proudlycanadian - Jul 26, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Your buddy might be the exception that proves the rule.

• proudlycanadian - Jul 26, 2013 at 4:52 PM

A Ponzi scheme?

5. Liam - Jul 26, 2013 at 4:46 PM

I just wish there was a famous song lyric I could humourously insert WAR into to express my opinion that the stat significantly lacks utility.

• fm31970 - Jul 26, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Friend only, to the Undertaker?

6. timothynoble41 - Jul 26, 2013 at 4:47 PM

I can’t find my Billy “F*ck Face” Ripken card.

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 26, 2013 at 4:51 PM

“Billy “F*ck Face” Ripken.” Hahaha!

That dude has always irritated the hell out of me for some reason.

Thanks Timothy. I now have a new name for him.

• jwbiii - Jul 26, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Well, here’s a picture.

• tfbuckfutter - Jul 26, 2013 at 5:23 PM

I found a set of ’89 Fleer at the local drug store for $1 back in like 1995…..

It was missing the Griffey RC, and it had the 5 cent Billy Ripken edit.

I threw the set in a dumpster.

• ezthinking - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:01 AM

liar

7. fearthehoody - Jul 26, 2013 at 4:55 PM

NERDS!!!!!!!

8. koufaxmitzvah - Jul 26, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Who had the better WAR: Martin Sheen or Charlie Sheen?

I’m going with Martin because he got out.

Then again, Charlie’s got Tiger blood.

Tough stat.

9. biasedhomer - Jul 26, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Do kids still collect baseball cards? I remember back when I was younger, I loved opening up the packs more than the actual cards themselves.

• km9000 - Jul 26, 2013 at 6:37 PM

They’re all into collectible card games now. Although, MLB would be genius if they could find a way to combine baseball cards with a game like Strat-o-Matic. Maybe with an app.

I guess kids wouldn’t exactly want certain cards just because they actually like those players, but it’s not like they’re doing that anyway.

10. dlf9 - Jul 26, 2013 at 5:34 PM

The picture Craig used on the main page for this blog post looks like someone who would have a really ugly and far less hirsute brother.

• Craig Calcaterra - Jul 26, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Hey now

• dlf9 - Jul 26, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Jeeze, does that make me look like some kook who is stalking your twitter and tumblr pages?

11. nkings - Jul 26, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Craig check the 1970 Pedro Borbon. “Pedro enjoys cockfighting” Best card back ever!

• km9000 - Jul 26, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Did Oil Can Boyd have a card fun fact that explained what his nickname referred to?

12. bigtrav425 - Jul 26, 2013 at 7:22 PM

WAR is nothing more then a crock of Sh*t

• nothanksimdriving123 - Jul 27, 2013 at 4:49 AM

Make love, not WAR.

13. sav2880 - Jul 27, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Don’t get me wrong, I love me some sabermetrics, but these baseball cards really should be for kids … do we have to completely replace them with Wins Above Replacement, and a ton of other incomprehensible statistics for a six year old?!

Here’s why I say this. As a kid, I loved playing with my baseball cards and reading the stats on the back and trying to understand how to manipulate them. I learned mathematics by learning how to figure out a slugging percentage, or what percentage of hits were home runs, or even silly things like WINS. My point is, no kid is going to know how to figure out what WAR really means, but they might be able to get an ERA.

Let’s use baseball cards as a friendly method to get kids interested in baseball, and to do that, you get them used to the basics.

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3768)