Albert Pujols leaves Angels to have ailing left foot examined

Jul 27, 2013, 1:38 PM EDT

Albert Pujols Getty Getty Images

UPDATE: Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times reports that Pujols will have an MRI on his foot. If the tendon in his foot isn’t torn, he will likely receive a cortisone shot.

1:38 PM: Albert Pujols has been hobbled by plantar fasciitis in his left foot for most of the season, but it sounds like he could finally be reaching a breaking point.

According to Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com, Pujols has left the team in order to have his foot evaluated. Angels manager Mike Scioscia would only say “we’ll see” when asked whether he’ll face an extended absence.

Pujols has swung the bat well since the All-Star break, hitting .353 (12-for-34) with two homers and seven RBI in eight games, but he told Gonzalez yesterday that he hasn’t felt any improvement with his foot.

“It’s been the same,” Pujols said in Spanish. “I still feel some pain. I still feel it bothering me a bit. That’s something that in the offseason, with time and with rest, hopefully the pain can go away.”

Pujols has made 65 out of 99 starts of the DH spot this season and just hasn’t looked comfortable moving around. With the Angels 11 games out in the AL West and 8.5 games out of a Wild Card spot, it might be time to put pride aside and be realistic.

Pujols, 33, still has about $218 million remaining on his 10-year contract with the Angels which runs through 2021.

1. bayrich - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Lets go Oakland!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. aaroncurryisbust - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Lmfao, nice contract Angles.

• km9000 - Jul 27, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Yep… 4 of them at 90 degrees each.

3. jarathen - Jul 27, 2013 at 2:00 PM

This is a lost season for the Angels. They have to hope that next year Pujols is healthy, that Hamilton has it “figured out” (if you believe in that), and that the pitching is shored up. Unless I’m missing something, they have two quality starters for 2014 and nothing else. Let Pujols fix what’s ailing him and try again next year. With eight years left on that cotnract, it’s better to try to sort it out now than to push him to a breaking point.

• flamethrower101 - Jul 27, 2013 at 2:12 PM

This is all very suspicious. Now I admit I’m no doctor and I won’t advocate myself as one but if the All-Star Break was not enough to at the very lease alleviate some of the pain then there has to be more to this than is known.

• jarathen - Jul 27, 2013 at 2:15 PM

As far as I understand plantar fasciitis (and I am also no doctor but as a lifelong Angels fan also saw Tim Salmon deal with it), it can’t be fixed so easy. It can become a chronic condition and really all you can do about it is rest for a long time. The rigors of playing baseball are going to make it hard to recover, even if you’re just hitting and running the bases.

That being said, it could impact how he is running/hitting and affect other parts of his body as a result.

• raysfan1 - Jul 27, 2013 at 2:38 PM

I have plantar fasciitis. It is nearly always chronic. In my case, I’ve dealt with it for 23 years. Mine is not that bad–as long as I stretch my calves routinely and wear shoes with good arch supports and heal cushioning (which most cleats don’t have). I’ve even run half marathons. Others have to have custom orthotic shoe inserts, night splints, and some even have to have cortisone injections or surgery.

• jarathen - Jul 27, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Thanks for weighing in, Raysfan. I’ve read about it a lot but cannot speak from direct experience.

• missingdiz - Jul 27, 2013 at 3:33 PM

I had plantar fasciitis; I moved and instead of running on the beach I was running on asphalt. I thought it was “heel spurs” and would require surgery. The pain comes when you’ve been sitting or lying down and you stand up and start to walk. I looked like Walter Brennan in his later days. I happened to find a podiatrist who was also a runner and also had suffered from p.f. You have to be very persistent in the treatment, which is stretch, stretch, stretch; and always have arch support. Just resting isn’t good enough. I found a couple of old 6 oz. Coke bottles and rolled them with my arches while I was sitting. I never stopped running. I got over the p.f., and I’m still running, even though I’m old and heavy. I don’t know what’s up w/ Pujols. I would think that he would get state-of-the-art treatment, but maybe he’s not getting good advice. He needs shoes he can slip on and off easily, and he should be working his arches, stretching, while he’s on the bench every inning if he’s not hitting. If he is going to be hitting soon, he just shouldn’t sit down. It would look weird, but it would prevent the pain that comes when he runs back onto the field.

• maurynna36 - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:55 PM

I just had surgery 3 weeks ago to fix plantar fasciitis in my right foot after suffering with/treating it for over 7 months, including 4 steroid injections, physical therapy, etc. It is very painful and can be very frustrating to deal with as even normal activities can cause pain. Surgery has helped but it takes 4-6 weeks to recover from since the surgery actually consists of partially cutting through that tendon to relieve the tension on it that is causing inflammation. My doctor also explained that healing takes a long time because the area around your heel, where the inflammation occurs, has very little blood flow and more blood flow = faster healing.

• bchapman2011 - Jul 27, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Unless the are able to amputate both legs and give him the legs of a 27 year old Pujols he is FINISHED! It’s going to be a long 8 years Anaheim. Good thing you have Hamilton to carry the load for the next 5. LOL

• raysfan1 - Jul 27, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Plantar fasciitis is not an age related problem.

4. amadorjon - Jul 27, 2013 at 2:15 PM

reminds me of the local commercials for the good feet store in Sacramento when Peja Stoiakovic would try to pronounce plantar faciitus on tv-and then go on and on about his arch supports

5. imnotyourbuddyguy - Jul 27, 2013 at 2:29 PM

When making splashes goes wrong

6. losanginsight - Jul 27, 2013 at 2:53 PM

This makes Arods contract look decent.

7. thebadguyswon - Jul 27, 2013 at 3:07 PM

The St Louis Cardinals are the smartest organization in baseball.

• cohnjusack - Jul 27, 2013 at 4:26 PM

In all fairness, they did offer him a 9 year contract with nearly $200 million dollars…

• gibbyfan - Jul 27, 2013 at 5:14 PM

I would modify that with regard to pujols and say the Cardinals were very lucky…….unless they were working another agenda behind the scenes to facilitate the move. In that case smartest would indeed apply

• perryt200 - Jul 28, 2013 at 2:37 AM

you are just figuring that out?

8. buffalo65 - Jul 27, 2013 at 4:12 PM

It’s tough on these guys coming off the juice. Body breaks down fast.

9. rgledz - Jul 27, 2013 at 4:19 PM

The body starts to break down when you hit 37, 38 years old. Right Albert…..right???

• cohnjusack - Jul 27, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Ugg, enough with the Albert Pujols age conspiracy nonsense. There is 1). Zero Proof, and 2). Really not any anecdotal proof either. A vast majority of baseball players start to see a decline in production and increase in injury when they hit about 30…not 37. A vast majority of players are completely out of the game at 37. The breakdown starts looong before then.

• maurynna36 - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:57 PM

plantar fasciitis can affect people of any age..I got it at 28…

10. sfm073 - Jul 27, 2013 at 5:08 PM

He’s been dealing with this for most of his career. If it hasn’t gotten better by now, it never will.

11. giantssb42champs - Jul 27, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Buyer beware.

12. adeedothatswho - Jul 27, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Plantar is pretty damn easy to fix. I did it for a living. I’ve written the Angels front office several times. They ignore me, which I understand, I’m just a guy. But what they’re trying isn’t working. Why not hear what I have to say?

IT’S SO EASY TO FIX.

13. sidelineshot - Jul 27, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Send the guy and 100 million back to St. Louis.

• tuberippin - Jul 28, 2013 at 4:36 AM

The Cardinals have no need for Pujols at this point for anything other than sentimental value, and I would imagine he burned that bridge with them in signing for the larger amount of money with the Angels. St. Louis have plenty of guys that can play first base if needed. Matt Carpenter, Allen Craig, Matt Adams, Matt Holliday. Plus, Allen Craig is playing very well right now.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. G. Springer (3891)