Jul 27, 2013, 1:38 PM EST
UPDATE: Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times reports that Pujols will have an MRI on his foot. If the tendon in his foot isn’t torn, he will likely receive a cortisone shot.
1:38 PM: Albert Pujols has been hobbled by plantar fasciitis in his left foot for most of the season, but it sounds like he could finally be reaching a breaking point.
According to Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com, Pujols has left the team in order to have his foot evaluated. Angels manager Mike Scioscia would only say “we’ll see” when asked whether he’ll face an extended absence.
Pujols has swung the bat well since the All-Star break, hitting .353 (12-for-34) with two homers and seven RBI in eight games, but he told Gonzalez yesterday that he hasn’t felt any improvement with his foot.
“It’s been the same,” Pujols said in Spanish. “I still feel some pain. I still feel it bothering me a bit. That’s something that in the offseason, with time and with rest, hopefully the pain can go away.”
Pujols has made 65 out of 99 starts of the DH spot this season and just hasn’t looked comfortable moving around. With the Angels 11 games out in the AL West and 8.5 games out of a Wild Card spot, it might be time to put pride aside and be realistic.
Pujols, 33, still has about $218 million remaining on his 10-year contract with the Angels which runs through 2021.
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 35
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 24
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (244)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)