Alex Rios said he was never approached about trade to Yankees

Jul 27, 2013, 12:17 AM EDT

Alex Rios AP

According to the New York Post’s Joel Sherman, the Yankees gave the White Sox’s Alex Rios a long look, only to later move on to Alfonso Soriano. The reason:

Rios, though, refuted that he gave anyone any indication that a trade to the Yankees was off the table. “He should get his facts right because it puts me in a bad spot,” Rios told CSNChicago.com’s Dan Hayes. “I was never asked about that. I don’t know where he’s getting his insights.”

With the White Sox going nowhere fast, Rios makes sense as a trade target for a team looking for an outfielder. The 32-year-old has hit .276/.330/.437 with 12 homers and 21 steals this season, and he’s under contract for a perfectly acceptable $12.5 million next year, with a $13.5 million team option or a $1 million buyout for 2015. According to Hayes, the Pirates and Rangers have also been linked to him.

1. ezthinking - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:17 AM

What the media makes shit up???? Teams that bullshit fans that every player should never leave for more money via FA or else they are money grubbing assholes aren’t right?

I had no idea billionaire’s would lie to me. What a revelation I must re-evaluate my life. Or watch another State Farm, Allstate, GEICO, Progressive, et. al commercial and feel safe.

I should not ask why my premiums plus interest earned thereon are designed to pay the claims made, but somehow these companies make billions each year? Oh yeah, it’s because……..but we sponsored the Home Run contest………….

2. proudlycanadian - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:05 AM

I just can’t get enough Yankee news, whether it is real or fabricated. It is great Soap Opera.

• dirtyharry1971 - Jul 27, 2013 at 11:54 AM

that’s good because if I were you id get used to it because at the end of the day the Yankees are the only thing that even matters in baseball, case closed

• nbjays - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Yep, those 4th place Yanks sure are a force to be reckoned with…. NOT!

Keep drinking that Yankee Kool-Aid, harry. Enjoy your upcoming rebuilding decade… or two.

• djpostl - Jul 27, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Lol. Rebuilding for a decade. Keep dremaing scrub. From a fan of the Word Series favorite turned last place Jays no less.

If they hadn’t suffered from 4000 innings plus lost to the DL (literally around 4000) they’d be right in the mix for the division title, primarily because of the abundance of young arms who have stepped up this season.

3. dondada10 - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:16 AM

Vernon Wells, Lyle Overbay and Alex Rios? Where have I seen that before?

• proudlycanadian - Jul 27, 2013 at 8:32 AM

It kind of brings tears to my eyes.

4. nbjays - Jul 27, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Rios is a bad fit for the Borg… too young and too healthy.

5. croatiannation - Jul 27, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Unfortunately the Pirates are too chicken to pull the trigger on Rios.

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3838)